View Single Post
Old 04-16-2023, 10:46 PM   #14724
OssMan
The Classic Dylan Staples

OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)OssMan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Mario movie

Fun

Nearly every beat in the movie was faithful to something from one game or another... cept there was this part in the beginning that seemed like more of a joke about gentrification in Brooklyn where they went into this yuppie condo and got attacked by a dog, but it wasnt the dog from duck hunt or anything, was just a random dog.

i liked that they shifted the narrative to be about mario saving luigi rather than saving peach, and the shared moment with him and DK wanting acceptance from their fathers was interesting. It was a very strange decision to portray DK as a young playboy nepo baby type of guy though, and Cranky Kong was uncomfortably jewish.

the use of licensed music was weird, didn't seem to fit... why have Take On Me playing during DK Jungle Parkway... i dunno. Generally the musical beats fit really well with whatever was going on though and it was really cool if you could pick up on the motifs and references. loved when they did the Mario Kart selection... Rainbow Road was a little dark though, kinda disappointing

I really loved the allusions to having to get the hang of the gameplay, and the platforming sections were really smartly done. Overall the movie was like 90% smartly done and 10% some strange choices (the misanthropic Luma, hardly any Yoshi)

lol @ conservatives calling it "anti-woke" because it did well at the box office... again they removed a potentially problematic misogynistic element of the standard mario plot (guy rescuing damsel in distress) and changed it to something more wholesome (guy trying to save his brother) but ok
OssMan is offline   Reply With Quote