View Single Post
Old 01-29-2021, 12:47 AM   #2737
Evil Vito
President of Freedonia

Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Evil Vito makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I simmed my first AEW Dark since, technically, it would've already been taped in real life. And besides, I wanted to start on a Dynamite. I'm willing to bring back some people that may not currently be willing to travel during the pandemic, but I will also try to honor injuries. AEW isn't always clear on timelines for injuries but at bare minimum I know that Penta and Trent will be out for a while, so I'll try to work around their absences as best I can.

Besides that, for this first Dynamite I'm going to largely honor what they've already announced and booked for next week, and I'll take it from there while just kinda writing off one story I have no interest in booking/can't book anyway cause it involves someone not in the game.

---

AEW Dynamite: Beach Break - February 3, 2021

Opening Segment

The show opens with the ring set up for a wedding...quite the way for me to make my debut as a booker don't you think? Kip Sabian and Penelope Ford were meant to get married on this show, but you know weddings and wrestling shows don't mix! Chuck Taylor, forced to be "The Best Man" Miro's servant until the wedding, served as the ring bearer for tonight's festivities, but upon opening the little briefcase he had meant to contain the rings, the orange spray blasted the entire wedding party. That can only mean one man! Orange Cassidy hits the ring and he and Chuckie T have themselves a brew-ha-ha with Kip and Miro. All the wedding garb in the ring is quickly destroyed, the faces eventually get out of there and an enraged Miro press slams the justice of the peace, because why not? I suspect this will be the first and last wedding AEW ever attempt! 79% rating

First Match:

Hangman Adam Page looks to continue his winning ways, this time against Angélico. They had a spirited contest but it was frequently marred by attempted interference by Angélico's tag team partner, Jack Evans! He tries to get involved one time too many and it backfires, as Evans is kicked off the apron and Page finishes off Angélico with the Buckshot Lariat. After the match, TH2 attempt to beat down Page but Page is able to rally back. Just as it looks like he has the situation in hand, Matt Hardy emerges to help finish running TH2 out. **1/2, 68% rating

Matt Hardy reminds Hangman Page about what he said last week - he knows Hangman's felt abandoned by his friends before, but he hopes he showed tonight that he can count on him. The announcers of course mention that he ran out conspicuously late. 85% rating

Second Match:

A 20-man, tag team battle royal - both members of a team have to be eliminated in order for the team to be gone. The surviving team gets an AEW World Tag Team Title shot at Revolution. The Inner Circle entered this match with the clear numbers advantage with three teams in the mix: Santana/Ortiz, Sammy/Hager, and Jericho/MJF. Sensing that was the case, many of the other teams attempted to band together to whittle the group down as best they could, easier said than done with so many men in there to break up eliminations.

It came down to Inner Circle members MJF, Santana, and Ortiz being in there against Dustin Rhodes of the Natural Nightmares. Dustin tried his hardest to overcome the odds, but as Santana and Ortiz got him over the ropes on the verge of elimination, MJF snuck behind and dumped the whole group of them out! The announcers pointed out this is the same stunt MJF pulled on fellow Inner Circle member Sammy Guevara in the Dynamite Diamond battle royal in December, MJF's relentless reign of being an absolute prick continues. Scott Keith doesn't rate battle royals, 67% rating

We have an interview with Cody Rhodes. His wife's planned showdown with Jade Cargill had to be put on hold due to Brandi's maternity leave, and Shaq is too wrapped up in his basketball coverage career to face him, so he's back to the drawing board with trying to find his next challenge. He issues an open challenge for next week on Dynamite. 82% rating

Third Match:

Darby Allin faced off against Ricky Starks of Team Taz. Everyone was banned from ringside from this one, but if you know how much Team Taz hate Darby you know that wasn't going to hold up. After a back and forth contest, Darby had the match won the the Coffin Drop only for Brian Cage to pull him outside the ring and ram him into the steel steps for the disqualification! Team Taz did a beatdown until the lights went out and Sting emerged in the ring, baseball bat in hand to back the heels off. These two sides will clash in a street fight at Revolution. **, 62% rating

Last week, Eddie Kingston snuck out a win over Lance Archer thanks to interference from The Family. We see additional footage showing Archer and his manager Jake "The Snake" Roberts being assaulted again by The Family backstage, Jake in particular needing medical staff to attend to him. What a dastardly act by The Family! 78% rating

The Inner Circle have an interview where Jericho and MJF gloat over their battle royal victory and tell the Young Bucks to enjoy these last few weeks with the tag belts. The Debonaire Duo take turns complimenting each other as the other members of Inner Circle roll their eyes in the background 82% Overall

Fourth Match:

Dr. Britt Baker and Thunder Rosa had been at each other's throats for the past two months, and they finally got their chance to settle their disputes in the ring. A well placed cheap shot with a heel ended up netting Britt the win, but despite the loss Rosa had a great showing for herself, struggling to the ropes to withstand the Lock Jaw. Before the announcers could speculate on if either of these women could be in line for a title match - HOLY SHIT it's Awesome Kong! We haven't seen her in nearly a year! Awesome Bomb to both ladies and she has made an emphatic return! **, 64% rating

Awesome Kong wastes no time getting on the microphone and telling everyone she spent her time in quarantine figuring out more ways to cripple her opponents, and she made it no secret - she's coming for Hikaru Shida! 82% rating

Main Event:

Death Triangle members PAC and Rey Fénix looked to avenge their fallen comrade Penta El Zero Miedo as team with Jon Moxley who also has a score to settle with The Elite. Kenny Omega and The Good Brothers controlled a lot of the match, particularly working over Fénix who sold his ass off like always. Omega in particular was quick to tag out of the ring whenever PAC or Moxley got brought in. As is per usual with a trios match, it all eventually turned into a pier six brawl. Fénix and PAC leaped at Gallows and Omega on the outside with reckless abandon, as Moxley finished off Karl Anderson with a Paradigm Shift to grab the win. ***, 75% rating

74% show rating

---

After the show, Hangman sends me an e-mail saying that he and Angélico don't really click. Yeah, I figured that...but with so many guys in the battle royal I had to put him against somebody.

All told, I'm happy with a 74% to start. Much as I enjoy AEW personally, the overness ratings and default stats aren't kind to a lot of my midcard/lower midcard guys so it'll take time to build up the overness and figure out who gels with who. Until then, the segments and interviews should help carry my shows. If my feuds build to a good PPV, that's a win in EWR land.
Evil Vito is offline   Reply With Quote