View Single Post
Old 02-28-2020, 04:20 PM   #2429
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Meltzer is either setting the bar really low so that when AEW gets 100k worldwide buys he can act spellbound by how amazing it is, or he's bracing for impact.

The show has been built around Jericho/Moxley and Cody/MJF. One of them is a WWE-style program around two guys from the WWE that people know, while the other has the most protected babyface going against the best heel they've got. It's got a real shot at doing some business, even if the TV has lost people and Full Gear didn't do that amazing coming off that initial boost.

I'm more interested to see how they do with Double or Nothing II, as there will be that year-to-year comparison. But this buyrate is hard to predict. Especially since Meltzer stopped reporting the data clearly, because it led to things like revealing that there was a <30% retention rate for All Out. They only have so many potential fans and first-time buyers to burn through.

The number will tell an interesting story, but you're probably not going to hear Meltzer tell it. He's already settled on the "UK is down" narrative. If domestic buys are down, that won't explain a single thing, but I don't expect that to be addressed.

And no, I do not hate Meltzer. He's just very clearly biased and angling stories to make AEW look more pristine than they are. That's obvious. The extent of his Full Gear reporting was basically "It's about the same as All Out," wasn't it?
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote