Thread: The WWF in 1991
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 11:25 PM   #17
Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers is a chill bro (7,500+)Kenny Powers is a chill bro (7,500+)Kenny Powers is a chill bro (7,500+)Kenny Powers is a chill bro (7,500+)Kenny Powers is a chill bro (7,500+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hb2k View Post
So, this week, SCG Radio returns with the first episode of a mini-series covering 1991 in the WWF, and I thought it might be worth starting a thread and get some talk going about what was an insane year in the WWF's history.

In this first part, we discuss the absolute disaster that was the Sgt. Slaughter push, leading to and through the Royal Rumble, the shocking decision to put the World Title on him, and the feud with Hulk Hogan. Discussing all the media fallout, the promos, the presentation of the angle as well as backstage notes on feelings behind-the-scenes, the show breaks down Vince McMahon's terrible decision to exploit the Persian Gulf War so shamelessly. Check it out and let us know your thoughts - I'm particularly interested in the long-term fans take on how you viewed the Slaughter push as it happened.

https://mcdn.podbean.com/mf/web/r9ek...rt_1A9ki0h.mp3
I wasn't a hardcore fan of the WWF(E) back in 1991, but can we really call Sgt. Slaughter's push a disaster? (I'm assuming that you're referring to his heel run?). Slaughter was legit receiving death threats from people and was being refused service at restaurants. Slaughter had been a fairly respectable face for much of the time and then shocked people by siding with the enemy. The fact that people got so emotionally invested into this storyline makes it a huge success does it not? 29 years later, and here we are writing about it and discussing it. I don't think it was a "terrible decision" at all on Vince's part.
Kenny Powers is offline   Reply With Quote