View Single Post
Old 05-21-2015, 11:00 AM   #4177
Nowhere Man
Now. Here. Man.

Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
Well, they did just open up the multiverse in Flash, so I guess they can do crossovers by having Barry show up in the parallel universe with Supergirl in it.

On the subject of DC's multiverse, I just finished up reading The Multiversity, and got caught up with Convergence. The fact that they're running two big multiverse stories back-to-back like that is more signs that the higher-ups at DC have no idea what the hell they're doing (though to be fair, Multiversity was supposed to come out during the launch of the New 52 and was plagued by delays). And there is a huge gap in quality between the two stories.

Multiversity is absolutely insane, and I love it. I'm admittedly a sucker for Grant Morrison's crazy, meta, "comics about comics" kind of stories as it is, but this series is Grant Morrison times Grant Morrison. There's a ton of follow-ups from previous stories like Final Crisis and Superman Beyond, ideas lifted from Seven Soldiers and even going back to stuff like The Invisibles, but it's also engaging enough that you don't need to have done your homework to get what's going on. While the first and final issues about the House of Heroes and all that are fun, they really pale in comparison to the stuff in between-- Morrison and Quitely using the Charlton comics characters to do their own spin on Watchmen was amazing, and 'Thunderworld Adventures' made me wonder out loud why Morrison's never written Captain Marvel before. And 'Ultra Comics #1' seriously screwed with my head. It's all very crazy and head-trippy and almost obnoxiously meta, but it's also probably the best stuff that DC's put out since the reboot.

Convergence, on the other hand, meh. It's a lot more straightforward-- Brainiac gathers up cities from parallel universes and makes them fight to survive-- but since the main plot focuses mostly on the heroes from Earth-2, I couldn't really get into it because I absolutely do not give a shit about Earth-2. The tie-in comics are rather great, since you get to see Pre-Flashpoint (and even Pre-Crisis) versions of all your favorite characters again, but since they've already announced that the post-Convergence continuity is sticking with the New 52, it feels almost like an insult. "Oh, you like your old versions of Superman and Batman? Wanna see them again? Well, too bad! They're getting put away for good, and we're going back to the version you hate, only even dumber this time!"

It's a shame that the really interesting and fun multiverse-based story is the one that doesn't have any actual bearing on the main DCU, but the boring and contrived one does.

Last edited by Nowhere Man; 05-21-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote