Thread: The GOAT
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 09:54 AM   #31
#1-norm-fan
Resident drug enabler

#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I think just going by the money they drew and how they changed the business is fine but for the sake of discussion, I think you can throw in the “popular doesn’t always mean right” factor. Of course “right” is subjective but if you think of the most popular/biggest draw when it comes to movies, TV, music, etc. and then think of the greatest, chances are they won’t be the same. Larry the Cable Guy is not one of the greatest comedians of his time, Goddammit.

And with wrestling, it’s even less clear because there are SO many more factors that come into play. If Austin says “fuck this shit” and quits the business altogether after his Ringmaster run, he certainly doesn’t show up on many GOAT lists. But he’s the same guy. He just never found the right path to show it. How many guys were GOAT material and we’ll never know because the timing was never right? (*cough*Fandango)

So yeah, basically there’s a compromise between your personal favorite and the biggest draw that you can use.

I don’t think accomplishments should factor in too much though. Especially after a certain point. Everyone gets a turn with a world title in this era. It doesn’t mean much. If it did, we’d have to throw The Miz in the discussion.
#1-norm-fan is offline   Reply With Quote