Thread: The GOAT
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2021, 08:18 PM   #2
Jordan
It's a blood match!

Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jordan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I think the criteria that rings true for me is star quality, success and longevity. With that in mind there are four guys since 1980 that stand out. Hogan, Cena, Taker and Flair. I really cannot pick Cena even though he is definitely a much bigger mainstream star than Hogan is, but he's close in that in the past decade his name is probably the closest association with wrestling among the average person. He also has a longevity that rivals Hogan. Taker was very consistent and seemed to get better about 20 years into his run, and also has a certain name recognition amongst non fans/sports fans. Flair is definitely the most talented of the group I picked but I feel I probably the least successful. He wasn't a Mania main eventer which is definitely the pinnacle of pro wrestling to me.

I thing that success, longevity and star power out weigh "work rate" so it's not a big part of my answer. So I say the GOAT is Hogan. He carried WWF for nearly 10 years and then challenged and nearly defeated them with WCW for another five. Then he was able to return to WWE and close out his in ring career in a pretty fantastic way having his best matches in over a decade. In my heart the answer is easy, Hogan.

I don't pick Austin or Rock because their careers were too short. HBK and Bret Hart were two of the best wrestlers ever no doubt but they didn't have the success or star power as the four I mentioned.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote