View Single Post
Old 05-31-2023, 12:17 AM   #23
Tom Guycott
Wrestling Marks Rejoice!

Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Because I was super into this shit, I remember them all. However, the only ones that seemed like they really had any sort of shot were the TurboGrafix-16 and the Neo Geo.

The main issue with them both at the time, however, were price. ESPECIALLY the Neo Geo. I mean, I understood WHY with the whole "you can continue an arcade session at home using this card slot" and basically being 1-1 with their arcade stuff at home (Sorry, Dreamcast, NEC kinda beat you to that), but even with 199X money, a $600 console wasn't cutting the budget.

TG-16 was more budget friendly, but it didn't have any real "killer apps" outisde of Keith Courage - which was just a superior looking platformer that was a dime a dozen elsewhere, the Bonk series, which got ported elsewhere, and Newtopia, the supposed "Zelda killer" that was basically a Zelda 1 reskin.

Biggest problem with all of them is that everyone seemed to be trying to out-gimmick Nintendo and Sega, while those two just kept pumping out games. Some were certified classics, others were shovelware shit, but most were middling yet enjoyable with some sort of appeal somewhere. All the new boys were either all "LOOK HOW THIS LOOKS!!!" with mostly wonky, forgettable games or "we are sooo beyond a gaming system" like CD-i with it's Brittanica and road atlas stuff.
Tom Guycott is offline   Reply With Quote