View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 01:08 AM   #862
Fignuts
Hey Mister!

Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Just finished The Witcher 2. Kind of disappointed, tbh. Not that it's a bad game, but there was so much hype and great reviews, that I just went in expecting something better.

The story is good, but few of the characters really stand out. The choices in this game often have fairly large consequences, which is nice for multiple playthroughs.

One big problem I have is that where most games these hold your hand too much, this game doesn't tell you enough. So many times I had to complete a certain objective, and the game gives you no indication of where you're supposed to go, neither on the map or in the journal. Only option is to search every inch of the current town. Doesn't help that the map is absolute garbage.

Combat is okay I guess. I don't really care for not being able to use potions or other items in battle. Some missions you know what you'll be up against, so it's ok, but more often than not, there's no way to predict what type of fight you'll be in next, and the harder difficulties require that you use proper alchemic combos for certain fights. Which means you'll be dying quite a bit, for no other reason than you can't see the future. When things go well, however, combat can be fun.

Auto Save is horrendous at times. You pretty much have to rely on your own manual saves, if you don't want to lose a good 30-60 minutes of work.

The game world felt a bit underwhelming, as you only travel to three small towns, each with it's own small wilderness area around it. It's very linear, as once you're done with a town and leave, you can't go back. Very little to see and explore, which is very important in an RPG, at least to me. It's especially jarring, coming off of something like Skyrim.

Despite all my complaints, it was still fun overall. It's just not up to the hype, imo.

Playing Prototype 2 now, and it's more like Prototype 1.5. That said, it's still a blast, and it does come with a digital copy of the first game if you buy it at walmart, so that's nice. The new powers are pretty cool, especially bio bomb.
Fignuts is offline   Reply With Quote