View Single Post
Old 09-08-2023, 08:20 AM   #30
drave
In His hands...

drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fignuts View Post
Loving it so far. I a watched enough videos before hand to know what to expect though. I said that No Man's sky with bethesda style narrative and world building is my dream game, this isn't that. It's not a space exploration sim. It's very much a narrative driven, traditional bethesda rpg. Space and planetary exploration is more supplementary material to help establish setting and world building, and additionally to give you different places to survey, loot for resources, and kill stuff. It's almost like the classic radiant quests but on a much grander scale. end of the day, if you love bethesda rpgs, you'll love this. If you don't it probably won't change your mind.

Guns feel like a signifigant improvement over fallout. Really putting that id partnership to good use. Combat feels really good. The best it ever has in a bethesda game. Especially when you rank up the boost pack and you're jetting around a base in low gravity.

Lore and history of the world they've created is engaging so far. The big cities and even medium sized settlements are all really cool. Main story questline hasn't really picked up yet but I'm told that it starts slow and picks up. I've been to distarcted by side quests which have been pretty choice. The faction stuff in particular has been really fun.

The other thing thats distracted me a lot is ship building. I play fallout 76 exclusively for the camp building aspect, and this really scratches that itch. Theres so much you can do with it, and experimenting with it is addicting. I already fully levelled up my piloting skill and have a ship large enough where it takes a minute to find a specific crew member.

Space flight and combat feels good. Especially fun to use the targeting to take out their engines and board them. Sometimes it knocks out the gravity. Zero g combat is cool.

I haven't messed with outpost building very much as it requires a lot of resources and as such is considered a late game mechanic. Or at least building the kind of outpost I want to is. I could probably build a small one to get a resource.

A few negatives so far. Some strange QoL decisions. Stuff that has been introduced in fallout 76 like a keyring, area looting, and being able to enter in how much of an item you want trade,sell etc. with the numberpad isn't there.

There's no quick swap between weapons. Instead you use the d-pad with every direction having 3 slots. It's very quick and responsive though, so it's less of an issue than you'd think. Still worth mentioning.

The biggest flaw is how little it guides you for certain things. For instance, I had trouble docking at first, because the game doesn't explain you have to hover over an icon, switch to scan, and then hit A to target. Then the dock and hail options appear. Lots of little stuff details like that, but the biggest offender is ship building mode. There is a signifigantly steep learning curve, and the game does NOTHING to help you navigate it. Everything I know about it, I learned from youtube videos.

I feel like bethesda really intended for this to go back to a hard, immersive role playing experience. You can spend hours upon hours just playing a role as a pirate or bounty hunter. You could even go all in on science and spend all your time building outposts and surveying the planet and collecting resources, and selling the results of those endeavors. I think it's going to be easier to lose yourself in this world, moreso than any other bethesda game to date.

I've barely had time to play, I think I'm level 3.

Anyhoo, this all sounds awesome. I had no idea about knocking shit out in space and fighting in zero G - that's going to be insane.

You built some MONSTER camps in 76 dude, those things were always badass.

Thanks for sharing all this man, giving me more to look forward to.
drave is offline   Reply With Quote