View Single Post
Old 06-28-2023, 09:13 PM   #3420
M-A-G
Higher. Further. Faster.

M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
This post is sponsored by the Sphinx's missing nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Vito View Post
AEW Rampage
June 30, 2023

The Dark Order (Evil Uno and Stu Grayson) w/ Alex Reynolds and John Silver vs. The Wingmen ("Pretty" Peter Avalon and Ryan Nemeth) w/ Cezar Bononi

Third Rampage in a row I'm opening up with The Dark Order as they continue to mow their way through jobbers to look more serious ahead of their match with Blackpool Combat Club on Dynamite.

More or less a one-sided affair with the heels impressively selling their asses off for Dark Order here. Bononi tries to get involved by Reynolds and Silver thwart his attempts, as Uno and Grayson finish Avalon off with The Fatality for the win.

After the bell, Nemeth is slid into the ring to get a Fatality of his own. And then the big man Bononi is impressively given one as well. We haven't seen the Dark Order look this imposing since 2020. Maybe they'll give the BCC more of a run for their money than Hangman thinks (narrator: or not). The group all do their signature claw gesture as we go to commercial. ***, 69% overall rating

---
With a name like the Wingmen, their gimmick should either be old timey pilots or the sidekicks of one guy and they help him land dates. The comedy of the latter writes itself. Like, imagine them macking on Brit Baker and it draws the ire of Cole and it leads to some matches or whatever. It's a good idea to have some anchor talent for a show that's not really considered the flagship. I should probably focus my efforts better in that regard because sometimes I want Superstars to be important and others it's just some matches with guys I'm not using on a consistent basis.

Quote:
Roderick Strong vs. Tony Deppen

Booking Rampage really is a breeze sometimes. Scan my roster, find someone "important" I want to book and give some reps, scan through my list of "already in the ring" jobbers and enhancement talent to see if someone could be of use.

Picked Tony Deppen for the task as I felt like their stats would mesh well. Apparently was wrong here which surprised me, both guys have really nice brawl and technical. They still pulled a Perfectly Acceptable rating but nothing to write home about.

Alas, Deppen is also a vacuum of overness so that probably didn't help. Either way, he's here to make Strong look good and put over his shit. Strong wins with the Death by Roderick and that's that. **3/4, 68% overall

---
Death by Roderick is a good name. Gaps in overness are often an issue because it kind of reflects real life where a crowd may not really get into a match where it's a main eventer taking on an opener. Like, is the outcome really in doubt? A 10-point difference or less between workers should be a good rule of thumb. Perfectly Acceptable Wrestling is fine because you want people to pay for the really good shit. One thing I wish the game had for the television shows is segment breakdowns and how they did in the TV ratings. There's a segment rating, sure, but I always imagined that to be the audience at the show.

Quote:
CM Punk and Samoa Joe hype video building to their clash on Collision tomorrow. Naturally this pulls a rating somewhere in the 90s as I continue to use videos to artificially bump up the fact that the wrestling itself is often just for enhancement purposes so the network doesn't cancel me.

---
LOL, network cancellation. The closest I've ever come to pissing off my partners is when I bumped up my risk level to 100% just so I could do a Death Match. They were not happy. I spent the PPV money on hookers and blow. I think I got the better end of that deal. Punk and Joe is going to be a great payoff, unless the DUD show wants to be a douche.

Quote:
TBS Championship: Kris Statlander (C) vs. Penelope Ford w/ The Bunny

Last week, Stat defended against the Bunny in a good match, but got jumped by Ford afterwards. Today it's Ford's chance to get her some as the champion takes on all comers.

I.....did not realize how bad Ford's stats were in this data. Because yikes, this was the worst rated match I've had in this save. I mean with that said it could've been way worse, but yeah the bar is quite high in this universe. I didn't realize but if you have a bad match and read the match results, Scott Keith will say stuff like "Ford hits a crap dropkick" and whatever, basically telling you the match sucks. Case in point, the TBS Title lost image in this match. It's hard to have an image-losing title match in this game.

Anyway, Stat avoids Bunny interference and wins with the Big Bang Theory. After the bell, Ford and Bunny double team her (there aren't enough zeroes for what I'd pay for THAT double team ) and Thunder Rosa runs out for the save. Rosa has come in to save the woman she's been targeting for a title opportunity. In theory this is building to a tag match that I might go through with despite Ford's showing here, just for the sake of the story. We'll see. **, 65% overall

---
Yeah, I've seen some of that Scott Keith commentary and it's all hilarious. It's usually when I would get some random worker in for a one-shot jobber deal to get someone else over. It can be offset if they're in the ring with someone REALLY good who can carry things or if they've got charisma up the yahoo. I've seen it whenever I've stuck a manager into the proceedings. I need to ready myself for when it happens again. There's a match I have lined up down the road that I'm dreading for this reason, but for the sake of the story I feel like it needs to be done. Stay tuned!

Quote:
Bryan Danielson is standing by with Claudio Castagnoli, building to tonight's main event.

DANIELSON: "Forbidden Door might be in our rear view mirror, but the Blackpool Combat Club have come out of it learning some valuable lessons. Jon Moxley reminded everyone why he's one of the toughest sons of bitches on the planet, and I went toe-to-toe with the so called best in the world.

But my loss on Sunday will not be in vain, the Blackpool Combat Club enjoy being pushed. We push each other to the limits every single day in training. We push ourselves to be the best.

So tonight, Claudio steps into the ring with a man many others consider to be one of the best.

Chris Daniels, you've done a lot for us in our careers. You're a legend in this business. You're much more skilled than those clowns in the Dark Order that want to fight us next week. You're damn sure more reputable than those amateurs in The Elite. We don't want to hurt you. But tonight you're in the wrong place, wrong time."

---
An added benefit of starting another game is you get Daniels back into play as a worker as opposed to him switching to non-wrestler in your other game. Do what you can with him while you can because I'm sure the game is looking to screw you regarding him. Of course the alternative may happen like it does with me where he could end up going into his late fifties and refusing to take it easy or hang it up. I know I had Daniels way back when but I honestly can't remember what I did with him as far as feuds go. To me, he was always in the background to guys like Punk, Joe, Styles, and Danielson.

Quote:
"The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels vs. Claudio Castagnoli

Come on, just look at those names. Is there any doubt that this is gonna rule all kinds of ass?

Sure enough, it does! Danielson joins commentary and tries to refrain from letting his inner wrestling fan geekdom come out as Claudio and Daniels just put on a clinic in the ring. Given the squash-ish nature of the other three matches I'm seriously imagining this one being given the last 20 minutes or so of an hour-long broadcast, just let 'em cook.

Anyway, after captivating the audience with Daniels pulling off a number of surprise nearfalls, a brutal uppercut stalls his moment. Ricola Bomb and that's all she wrote, Claudio gets the win. Danielson hops in to raise his hand in celebration as we go off the air. ****1/4, 86% overall rating

80% overall show rating
Even a lesser show deserves to have a quality main event. Shame Vince and Company never really wanted to do stuff like this with Main Event and Superstars in its later incarnation. I remember starting fairly strong and then slowly degrading to the fucking D-shows. Like, fine if he's got people that he doesn't want to push, but at the very least stick them on a show like this and let them go all out. It's like, "Yeah, pal, I signed you because they told me you had some great wrestling skills, but I'm just going to give you 5 minutes every 6 six weeks on Saturday Morning Slam and let you be a lumberjack in a Raw main event every so often. Oh, I also need you on hand in case Stephanie needs to emasculate someone in a backstage segment."
M-A-G is offline   Reply With Quote