View Single Post
Old 06-27-2023, 09:25 AM   #3414
M-A-G
Higher. Further. Faster.

M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
This post is sponsored by F.A.N.G.'s poison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Vito View Post

Owen Hart Foundation Cup - Men's First Round Match: Adam Cole vs. Daniel Garcia

The Owen Hart Foundation Cup is back for a 2nd year as 8 men and 8 women will look to win their respective brackets and earn a future championship opportunity. The finals will be taking place July 23rd at Fight for the Fallen. As last year's winner, Adam Cole is the first man out of the box looking to repeat. He's got a first-round match against Daniel Garcia. Both men are coming off of losses at Forbidden Door, with this tournament giving them the opportunity to have quick turnaround of fortune.

These two have history with one another, meeting up in tag team action a few weeks ago with the Jericho Appreciation Society earning a cheap victory. Speaking of Jericho, the announcers remind viewers of Cole's brutal cage match victory over Jericho last week. Jericho seemingly walked out of an interview in stunned silence, and reportedly none of the other Jericho Appreciation Society members have seen him since.

Anyway, these guys have themselves a really nice back-and-forth match, showcasing a nice blend of speed and technical wrestling befitting of an Owen tribute. However, Cole manages to work Garcia down onto the mat long enough to lower The Boom and get the win. Clearly these guys have gotten the "try to keep the banger PPV quality matches going" memo. ****, 81% overall rating

---
Aww, yeah, tournaments! You're going to need some neat looking brackets so that I can keep track of things. This is a solid opener. Actually more than solid if it reached 4 stars.

Quote:
As Cole walks up the ramp to celebrate, the music of Dr. Britt Baker hits. Baker makes her way out for her match, giving Cole a smooch on the way out.

Owen Hart Foundation Cup - Women's First Round Match: Dr. Britt Baker vs. Saraya w/ Ruby Soho

Much like her beau Adam Cole, Britt Baker won the women's side of last year's Owen tournament, providing a nice visual for the crowd with the couple celebrating their newly won trophies. As last year's winner, she's also the first one out in her bracket this year. Tonight she is facing off against Saraya, who beat Britt in her AEW debut last fall.

Britt's had no shortage of issues with The Outcasts for several months now. Luckily for her, the Outcasts have also done a good job of pissing off most of the AEW women's roster in the process. Including referee Aubrey Edwards. Ruby Soho makes a nuisance of herself at ringside a few times behind Aubrey's back, but when she catches Ruby trying to help drag Saraya to the ropes during a submission hold, she gets thrown out in no time.

With Ruby ejected and Toni being tied up in other business, Saraya has no backup and no hope against a game and determined Saraya. The Lock Jaw submission is put on and Britt gets the first victory on her road to repeating. ***, 79% overall

---
Hey, if you like women's tournaments as much as I do, you're going to love what's coming up for me in a few months after the Rumble...

Quote:
[The video opens to MJF sitting in a lavish home, his AEW World Title sitting prominently on a table next to him.]

MJF: Hello, AEW Universe. As you can see, I'm not there tonight. You see, I refused to spend one more second in Canada than I was contractually obligated to.

[He grins, crossing his arms. The crowd in the arena boos, both at the insult to Canada and at the gall of MJF to refer to an AEW crowd as the "AEW Universe".]

MJF: So here I am, back in the most magical place on earth, Long Island, resting and recuperating from my epic battle against Tetsuya Naito at Forbidden Door.

[He chuckles, shaking his head.]

MJF: Naito and his glorified indie fed, New Japan Pro-Wrestling, thought they could take me down. But guess what? Just like every other challenger, they failed. So, Naito, why don't you go back to your rinky-dink company and tell them who the real champion is.

[He lifts the AEW World Title and smirks.]

MJF: Now let's talk about CM Punk and his encounter with Samoa Joe. Punk, I told you to watch your back. But did you listen? No. Instead, you got choked out after your little match with Tanahashi. Have fun trying to calm down the Samoan Submission Machine.

[He laughs, leaning back in his chair.]

MJF: And then there's the Owen Hart Cup. Tony Khan trying to determine a number one contender for my title? It's all a big formality.

[He scoffs.]

MJF: No matter who comes out on top, they won't be on my level. They won't be able to touch me. Khan's just lucky I don't take the entire summer off and leave AEW without a world champion. Just like I might take this gorgeous belt with me wherever I may go in the Bidding War of 2024!

[He smiles, leaning towards the camera.]

MJF: So keep watching, AEW Universe. Keep cheering for your heroes. Because no matter who they are, they'll never be MJF.

[He raises his title one last time, the camera focusing on the gleaming gold before the video ends.]

---
I missed stuff like this. World Class would do this kind of thing all the time with Jimmy Garvin and Gino Hernandez and the like. It gave a much deeper look into the lives of these people you're watching every week. There's social media now, but it doesn't really register the same. I try to read these promos in the same manner as that video you linked me and I can absolutely see it. Letting guys talk for themselves...what a wacky idea, am I right?

Quote:
FTW Championship: "Jungle Boy" Jack Perry vs. "El Toro Blanco" Rush (C)

This match just keeps the JungleHook vs. LFI feud plugging along nicely, with the face Perry trying to win the title that Rush stole from his friend. These two guys have clashing styles but in a way that actually benefits the match, with the smaller Perry selling like hell for Rush's stiff shots.

As the match winds down and Perry gains moment, Andrade saunters out to the ring to run interference but Hook is right behind him. Hook locks in the Redrum on Andrade at ringside as the crowd goes nuts. Unfortunately, these ringside happenings also distract referee Mike Posey, and he doesn't see Rush clock Perry with a chain. Rush steals the win. ***, 77% overall rating

---
Hey, you can't give the referees names! Don't you know they're just supposed to be anonymous, amorphous entities that for some reason are just there in the general vicinity of the action? That's what the WWE taught me, at least. I actually need to look at my staff because for the life of me I'm not sure who is still a ref in my promotion. I don't know if you've ever sent me a picture of it, but is the FTW Title belt still the same from ECW back in the day or did someone decide to give it an "update"?

Quote:
The scene transitions to Renee Paquette, the experienced wrestling journalist standing ready, microphone in hand. She is flanked by The Dark Order, each of them donning their characteristic masks and attire.

"Thank you, everyone. I'm here with The Dark Order, who have requested this time to speak," Renee begins. She turns towards Evil Uno. "So, what would you like to say?"

Before Evil Uno can respond, the shot of Adam Page comes into view. He walks into frame, his eyes focused on The Dark Order. "I've been looking all over for you guys since last week. I need to speak to you."

Evil Uno raises a hand, effectively silencing Page. "Save it, Hangman. You've already made your point clear," Uno states, his voice cold. "You teamed with The Elite against the Blackpool Combat Club. What? Didn't trust us to have your back like we always have?"

Page begins to speak, to defend his actions, but Uno doesn't let him. "We've noticed, Page," he continues, looking straight into the camera. "The Dark Order has been on a mean streak lately on Rampage. And now, we want to show you that you've placed your bet on the wrong group."

The camera zooms in on Uno's face, his eyes filled with determination. "Blackpool Combat Club," he calls out, "we challenge you. Next week. No disqualification, no holds barred, anything goes."

Page looks shocked, he tries to step in, to talk The Dark Order out of this reckless challenge, but they turn their backs on him, ignoring his words, leaving him behind as they march out of the frame, leaving Renee and a silenced Hangman in their wake. The camera lingers on Page's face, full of concern and regret, before the scene fades to black.

---
This reminds me of when Lex Luger got jumped by "Sting" and the NWO and everyone wasn't sure about Sting's loyalties and for whatever reason Sting waited like 6 fucking days to even try to talk with Lex and the Horseman. Like, you all don't have phones? Wrestling asks us to accept this really weird world where people need an audience present to talk to one another. AND WE GO ALONG WITH IT!!! I'm guessing this is leading to Page doing some kind of turn.

Quote:
TNT Championship: Lance Archer w/ Jake Roberts vs. Wardlow (C) w/ Arn Anderson

Wardlow vs. Lance Archer was exactly as advertised - a match between two big, yet also surprisingly agile hosses. These guys gelled really well and got the crowd engaged in the action in the ring. Meanwhile, fans got a nice burst of nostalgia outside of it as Arn Anderson and Jake "The Snake" Roberts got into a shouting match. Fans were eagerly awaiting to see the legends throw down, although it ultimately did not come to blows.

In the ring, Archer gets Wardlow up for a Blackout but he manages to slide loose, hit the ropes and then run through Archer with a big lariat. He goes up the top and hits an impressive Senton, followed by a Powerbomb for the win. Wardlow keeps his hoss winning streak intact while Jake the Snake is pissed off at ringside. The only question now is who's next for Wardlow? ***, 74% overall

---
Oh, man, Jake Roberts vs. Arn Anderson? Did that ever happen? The promos alone would've been amazing. Shame you have Mark Henry, I assume, as a mere member of the staff, because he'd make a great payoff to this thing you've got Wardlow doing, going through hosses and all.

Quote:
The AEW arena is charged with energy as the titantron flickers to life. Christian Cage, with Luchasaurus towering behind him, appears on the screen. A smug smile plays on Christian's face as the audience reacts with a mix of cheers and boos. The music fades, and he begins to speak, his voice cutting through the crowd noise.

Christian Cage: "Well, well, well... If it isn't the AEW International Champion, Orange Cassidy. The 'King of Sloth Style', the man who's held onto that title for nearly a year now. I gotta hand it to you, Cassidy. You've gone up against some of the toughest men in this business and still managed to keep that title around your waist. Hell, even Minoru Suzuki seemed to give you a nod of respect at Forbidden Door."

Christian pauses, his smirk growing wider as he leans closer to the camera.

Christian Cage: "But let me make one thing perfectly clear, Cassidy... You may have fooled some people with your gimmicks and your aviators, but you haven't fooled me. You haven't earned my respect."

Christian's voice lowers, and the intensity in his eyes becomes more pronounced.

Christian Cage: "You see, I've been in this business long enough to know that it's not about how long you can hold a title. It's about the impact you make, the stories you tell in the ring. And what's your story, Cassidy? That you can put your hands in your pockets and still win matches?"

He chuckles, shaking his head.

Christian Cage: "I'll admit, it's entertaining. A great trick for the crowd. But this is professional wrestling, not a comedy show. When I step in the ring, I do more than just entertain, I leave a mark. I create moments that will be remembered long after I retire. Can you say the same, Cassidy? Or will you just be remembered as the guy with the lazy kicks and the constant smirk?"

Christian stands tall, Luchasaurus roaring behind him, as he looks directly into the camera.

Christian Cage: "You can keep your aviators, your half-hearted thumbs up, and your sloth-style wrestling, Cassidy. Because I'm coming for that title. And when I take it from you, everyone, including you, will know what real respect feels like."

The titantron fades to black, the image of Christian's intense gaze and Luchasaurus' roar echoing in the minds of the audience. The challenge is set. The hunt for the AEW International Championship has begun.

---
This is exactly the kind of thing Christian would say about someone like Cassidy. I'm trying to imagine what the actual roars would sound like. Like, is he actually trying to do dinosaur roars or is it just a normal yell? Why does this promotion bring up so many questions?

Quote:
Later in the night, Renee Paquette finds herself in the locker room of the Blackpool Combat Club: Bryan Danielson, Jon Moxley, Claudio Castagnoli, and Wheeler Yuta.

"Blackpool Combat Club," Renee begins, standing amidst the group, microphone extended. "The Dark Order has issued a challenge to you all for next week. A no disqualification, no holds barred match. Do you accept?"

Before any of them can answer, Bryan Danielson steps forward. "Before we get to that," he starts, running a hand through his hair. "I want to address something. Yes, I suffered a deeply personal loss against Kazuchika Okada at Forbidden Door. And now, everyone thinks he's dethroned me as the best wrestler in the world."

He shakes his head, a determined look on his face. "I want everyone to know that this has made me more focused, more dangerous than ever. Okada, I don't care what country or what continent we meet in again. Mark my words, you haven't seen the last of me, and next time, I'll make you tap out."

Before Danielson can continue, Jon Moxley interjects, a wicked smile playing on his lips. "Now, about that challenge," he begins, his eyes gleaming with excitement. "The Dark Order wants to dance with us in a no disqualification, no holds barred match? That's right up our alley."

His smile broadens, the thrill of the upcoming fight evident in his eyes. "They want violence? We'll give them violence. They want chaos? We're the kings of chaos."

Moxley leans into the camera, his voice dropping to a growl. "Dark Order, be careful what you wish for. You're stepping into our world now. And trust me, it's a world of pain. See you next week."

With that, the segment concludes, the Blackpool Combat Club standing united, their expressions promising an intense match for next week's show.

---
I'm surprised that I haven't asked this question yet, but does AEW acknowledge the marriage between Renee and Moxley? They acknowledge so many other relationships from what you've told me, so I don't see why they wouldn't go for it here with these two. How soon do you think you'd be able to do Danielson/Okada again if you were so inclined?

Quote:
AEW Tag Team Championship: Sammy Hager (Sammy Guevara and Jake Hager) vs. FTR (Dax Harwood and Cash Wheeler) (C)

FTR remain fighting champions, willing to take on all comers and answering the call of Sammy Hager who called them out during the JAS' promo last week. The announcers again speculate on the status and whereabouts of Chris Jericho, remarking that there have rarely been any Dynamites in company history without him.

Anyway, it's an FTR match so you know it's going to kick all sorts of ass. In addition to their stats being great, their tag experience is high so it feels damn near impossible for them to not pull a 4-star match out of anyone, even a team that's somewhat thrown together.

Finish sequence sees Hager make a blind tag as Sammy goes up for a 630 and misses, leaving Hager all alone for the Big Rig for the win. After the bell, the familiar intro sound effect for Bullet Club plays over the arena. FTR drop their titles and begin scanning all corners of the crowd, anticipating a run-in that never comes. Some head games from Bullet Club Gold as the champs retain. ****1/4, 86% overall

---
I don't think I ever knew Harwood and Wheeler before I stopped following. I know a couple of guys on your roster just by name, like Omega, and a few that I knew in previous incarnations like Hager, but FTR are a complete unknown, I think. Everyone seems to praise them so I'll accept that such an outcome as this is absolutely possible.

Quote:
[CAMERA ON: The scene unfolds backstage on Dynamite. RENEE PAQUETTE stands with DON CALLIS and KONOSUKE TAKESHITA. Callis' face is a mask of smug satisfaction, Takeshita's, as ever, is cool and focused.]

PAQUETTE: [Microphone in hand, addresses Callis] "Don, Kenny Omega lost his IWGP United States Championship to Will Ospreay at Forbidden Door, but some would say it was your 'son' Takeshita's interference that made that happen. How do you respond?"

CALLIS: [Laughs, dismisses the question with a wave of his hand] "Let's not get lost in the details, Renee. The important thing here is Kenny Omega is no longer the IWGP United States Champion. Will Ospreay is. The wrestling world is shifting, and I dare say it's moving in our favor."

[Paquette seems to want to follow up, but Callis continues.]

CALLIS: "And speaking of change, Kota Ibushi having the nerve to show up in AEW. Coming to Kenny's aid at Forbidden Door. Getting involved in something that doesn't concern him. How... [His lips curl in distaste] touching."

[Callis leans in closer to the camera, his gaze intense.]

CALLIS: "But listen here, Ibushi. I don't care about your past with Kenny, or whatever bond you think you two share. In fact, your arrival here is, in my eyes, nothing more than a temporary blip. Because my 'son', Konosuke Takeshita..."

[He turns, placing a hand on Takeshita's shoulder, who meets the camera with a cold, challenging stare.]

CALLIS: "...is ready and waiting. You might be a Golden Star, but remember, even stars burn out. And when Takeshita is done with you, your time in AEW will indeed be very short-lived."

[CAMERA OFF: The scene ends on that chilling note, Callis grinning menacingly into the camera, his confident gaze not faltering as the frame goes black.]

---

Konosuke Takeshita w/ Don Callis vs. "Golden Star" Kota Ibushi

Konosuke Takeshita vs. Kota Ibushi...in the spirit of Forbidden Door, the kind of match that seemed unfathomable just a few days ago is now taking place in the main event of AEW Dynamite! Excalibur explains that, despite both men spending nearly their entire careers in Japan, they've nearly always been in different companies and their paths haven't crossed. They haven't shared a ring since 2015, and their lone singles matchup was just over a decade ago on January 27th, 2013.

Anyway, Takeshita's been running through some luchadores to get him established as a heel. But Ibushi is a whole other level. Really the purpose of this match is to familiarize the audience with Ibushi (not particularly difficult as smark heavy crowds would know him) and make sure he has a banger of a first AEW match.

And boy does he ever. These guys' stats match up nearly identically and it shows, as they pull off the elusive 100% match quality stat. Tons of hard hitting, a flurry of nearfalls and acrobatics all in one epic PPV quality main event. Ibushi connects with the Kamigoye for the win.

Don Callis pounds the mat in anger, and Takeshita pounces right back on Ibushi, acting like a sore loser. Here comes Kenny Omega for the save. Omega and Ibushi embrace again, as the crowd goes off the air with the pop at the reunion of the Golden Lovers. ****1/2, 86% overall rating
I would've thought you'd save an encounter like this up for another show, possibly a PPV, but how can you argue with a rating like that? The next step I assume you're going to make is building towards Ospreay/Takeshita vs. the, uh, Golden Lovers?
M-A-G is offline   Reply With Quote