View Single Post
Old 05-19-2023, 01:14 PM   #14913
Seanny One Ball
World Class References

Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
“Buck And The Preacher” - 3.5/4

One of the very few Westerns to appropriately treat African American perceptions in the post-Abolition world. Sidney Poitier directs and stars alongside Harry Belafonte and it is a marvellous piece of movie magic that seems to have been critically overlooked and somewhat forgotten by the public.
I loved every minute of it and while it does have its issues, it’s a perfect companion piece to “The Scalphunters” in that it refuses to patronise the viewer or the subject at the heart of the film. It almost defies genre in the way it flies between drama and farce but it is too grounded in seriousness to be accused of being more than a dramatic anti-western with some fine comic relief to keep you sane while watching.

Harry Belafonte is extremely likeable in this film, and it made me realise that I need to dig into his filmography for more. Sidney Poitier must have been proud of directing this and probably quite disappointed with the lack of recognition it received given how well crafted it is across the board.

I highly recommend this film.
Seanny One Ball is offline   Reply With Quote