View Single Post
Old 03-28-2023, 08:57 PM   #14617
Destor
I am the cheese

Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GD View Post
Saw "Last Night in Soho" tonight.
what did you think?

SPOILER: show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destor View Post
Last Night in Soho - 7/10

I always struggle to rate films im mixed on. I'll start with praise cause there's a fair amount to appreciate

Immediately this film is visually striking. It has a clear voice and it grabs you in the first few frames. You're able to feel like youre in good hands and it really lets relax and go on this journey. and the 1st act has some great visual effects and some wildly complex practical effects thats are just super interesting to look at.

Casting is excellent. Thomasin McKenzie id had only seen in JoJo Rabbit but she was outstanding there and she is here too. Anya-Taylor Joy is sex personified and leans into it in a way that allows her to command every scene she has.

I'll try and be vague about the plot here because this does live and die on the plot and the less you know the better. I'll say that it unravels its mystery in a way thats very satisfying.

Unfortunately the plot is incredibly discordant. Tonally its 3 films and they blend pretty poorly where they butt up against one another. That said once the "new" film gets momentum they do manage to get you back but id be lying if i said it didnt take me out of the film multiple times with these hard pivots.

SPOILER: show
at its core this is a #metoo horror film. But its for the most part feminism done correctly. The film doesnt stop, stare into the camera, and lecture the audience. It does it through a fair ammount of subtext.

The film, in my opinion, bravely acknowledges the culpability in the heroin. It doesnt pretend that she wasnt trading on dreams but it also doesnt excuse the benefactors of the transaction either. Thats a tight rope to walk.

Where i think it fails is does excuse our villain at the end and goes as far as to approve and thats just a bridge too far. However it does get some things right. Not every woman in this picture is a saint. Some are out right monsters. And not every man is a predator. Some have genuine and honest intentions. This messaging is paramount.

You also have some brilliant moments where the protagonist is being haunted by these male spectors. But we the audience see that these are normal people and in some cases men we know to be good. This is important. Its her paranoia that "all men are evil" that blinds her to the truth. Its not all men. Its specific men. There are monsters but it shouldnt damn us all.

Its moments like that that separates this film from what has become bog standard hollywood lecturing. The film addresses the complexity and danger present by going too far in BOTH directions and that makes for a film that feels like its taking the topic seriously.

But as stated in the end theres a value judgement cast that goes too far when the plot is taken on the surface level. The reality could have been a horrible person born from the actions of horrible people and i think that would have rang more true.

Ultimately i think the film is a visual treat and should probably been seen just for the sake of SEEING it. These mirror effects are mostly practical and theyre wild technically and the rest is just icing on the cake.
Destor is offline   Reply With Quote