View Single Post
Old 07-22-2022, 05:44 PM   #2589
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
My gut tells me that Naito is going to win. I can see the finals being him and Okada. I can see Ospreay losing the US Title before WK and making a special challenge to Okada. I can see Okada vs. Ospreay at the Tokyo Dome being New Japan’s sly dig on Kenny Omega. It’ll be a big “spectacle” that will get the New Japan nerds in the west very excited and doesn’t necessarily need a belt on the line (although they could just make it for the US Title).

I don’t think they will want their show dripping with AEW talent, but I can see Bryan Danielson, Jon Moxley, Claudio Castagnoli, Chris Jericho, CM Punk and FTR all involved in the show to some degree. Danielson in the “dream match” against ZSJ (ugh). Punk & FTR against a configuration of The Bullet Club (possibly EVIL, KENTA and Sho?) for the NEVER Six-Man. Punk vs. KENTA has intrigue but isn’t huge enough. Throwing the belts and a team with FTR in there increases the appeal and also gets some other Bullet Club guys on. Claudio against Shingo Takagi, because come on. Jericho can do something with…fuck me, I don’t know and I barely care. But I can see Jericho insisting he be involved. Hirooki Goto is always someone they want people to care about. I guess Mox can do a US Title match with Minoru Suzuki or something. I thought he would be higher, but I also struggle to care about him.

Oh, Lance Archer will probably do something on there, since they seem enamored with him. A match with Tomohiro Ishii seems too “low” for WK, but maybe it could be a cute spot for both guys. Or they could have Archer win the NEVER Title and have Tama Tonga go against him or something.

As far as other gaijin being involved, you’ve got the guys New Japan already has under contract and The Briscoes are now probably available. You can put The Good Brothers and The Briscoes into a match with a Japanese team for the Tag Titles.

The other big match I can see happening, should they be able to get/keep him on side, is Tanahashi vs. Ibushi. I can see there being a “clash of philosophies” there that could carry the program. I’ve enjoyed what I’ve seen when they’ve interacted.

And there, that’s basically Wrestle Kingdom.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote