Thread: Ratings Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2021, 05:56 PM   #2772
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrodmuc316 View Post
I honestly wouldnt even care about ratings if Tony Khan and his minions didnt act so smug about them. But they do, and so I enjoy when they fall on their asses and am amused by how they spin a different story week to week to claim some kind victory.
That doesn’t help them. At all. But with me it’s a measure of growth and engagement. It’s not the only metric of that. Younger people are going to engage with content in different ways. And guess what? That’s true of WWE too. It’s why their stuff goes up on YouTube almost immediately. But when people are throwing their hands up in ecstasy claiming this shit to be so much better than whatever else is out there, and I can see so many detrimental things about the product, it makes for great evidence to actually back my opinion up.

This isn’t the recipe for wrestling getting resurrected. You can enjoy it. That’s your prerogative. But don’t tell me it’s objectively good, or objectively effective. Does it work for the converted? Sure. A lot of the time. But popularity isn’t even the point, entirely. I can like niche stuff that a lot of people won’t want to engage with. That’s cool. But there’s a link here between the content being subpar and missing a much larger audience that wants something else entirely. Something I would enjoy. Something missing. The lack of popularity doesn’t only correlate, in my opinion, but is actually causally related to AEW’s output. And I will point it out until something happens, someone gets it, and we have content that works on a more effective level.

This is evidenced by the initial Punk number. By their debut number. By their All Out buyrate. More people want to enjoy wrestling and don’t than just don’t like wrestling anymore. And anything else is a cop-out. And it’s ignoring a segment of fans — potential fans, anyway — that are very clear in what they want, believe it or not. And too many people are ready to applaud intentionality than actual performance. I’m sure AEW wants to be good wrestling. But that doesn’t make them good wrestling. I’m not going to say they are good wrestling until they are.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote