View Single Post
Old 10-17-2021, 10:04 AM   #13380
Bad News Gertner
Best Poster

Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Bad News Gertner makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destor View Post
The Many Saints of Newark: A Sopranos Story - 6/10

alt title could have been Member Berries Strike Back. film spends far too much of its run time asking the audience "hey member this guy?" and its very unfortunate because that might be exactly what viewers want from this film but its not what i was after.

i was seeking a story told in the style of sopranos instead of a film constantly winking at me. its made worse by the fact that, excluding Gandalfini son, the actors spend all their energy doing impressions of these giant characters and it all feels very hacky.

there is promise in future sequels though. with all the nostalgia credit spent perhaps now we can get into some real story telling because there is potential.

and its for that potential that im left wanting. a film in the vein of what could be argued as both the best telivision series of all time and the single most influential series of the past 30 years (not by me but its a reasonable take [id say top 10 in quality and top 3 in influence {but whatever; its moot}]) it should simply be better. and when what im handed is good its lack of greatness hurts the film more than it would another.
It really should have been split into two movies. One focusing on the 60s and one on the 70s. I'm halfway through the movie and everything feels so rushed. And I totally agree with "Member Berries".
Bad News Gertner is offline   Reply With Quote