View Single Post
Old 05-05-2021, 05:03 AM   #1021
XL
Feeling Oof-y

XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrodmuc316 View Post
That is probably the biggest problem with wrestling today. The companies know they have that base audience, and that base audience is enough to keep them on TV, so the companies do just enough to keep the minimum amount of fans needed to keep cashing TV checks.

There is zero sense of urgency or taking risks because there is no reason to.

They could take a bunch of risks and work 3 times harder, and maybe they can grow the audience by 10% and get a few more Million$, or they can coast and do just enough. It's why WWE bailed on Heyman about halfway through his plan to create new attractions And grow the audience.

I go back to somebody like Strowman. I know he is debated here, but the dude was poised to be red hot for a while. Instead of letting that happen, they decided he needed to be buried because he showed up 4 hours before Showtime instead of 7 hours beforw, so he needed to be taught a lesson. They buried a guy who could have made them so much money, for being less early than they preferred. But that is the point, they are making enough money that they would rather their product be less good but have complete control.

And that is AEW too. All the talk about them pushing to change the business, but they haven't created any new stars. I am not talking about guys who were unknown 2 years ago, I mean that it's all the guys they told us were going to be something at the beginning of AEW. Darby and MJF and OC and Jungle Boy. They haven't opened up anything, it's The Elite and the few former Indy Guys they hyped at the start, mixed in with former WWE and Impact wrestlers.

They have their built in audience, and they haven't really done much of anything different to try and grow it or let anybody unplanned take over. If you love The Elite, then you are hyped they have been the focus for over 2 years. Why change that up when the core fan base is content with that.

The closest thing I can think of is John Silver, who got some real steam by accident, but all it has done is give him maybe 10% more TV time. He certainly isn't leapfrogging the Young Bucks on the card no matter how over he gets. There is no reason to take that chance and go outside the original plan when there is no real pressure to do better.
This seems like an incredible non sequitur.
XL is offline   Reply With Quote