View Single Post
Old 07-07-2020, 05:12 PM   #2763
Fignuts
Hey Mister!

Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan X View Post
AEW/WWE war is toxic and constant and also what is with the female wrestling STANS (I hate how this term is so widely used) and their devout passion that goes back to the whorey days of Lita and Trish to a complete obsession with Sasha or Bailey or Io ... god let's not even get into the Joshi fans.
Nah, let's get into it. Cause it's a fucking problem. Used to be that Joshi fans were just people who discovered classic AJW, and thought it was cool. It didn't really matter that they were women, although it was admittedly novel to see such great women's wrestling. The draw was the quality of the content. AJW from early 80's to late 90's is fantastic.

But then Japanese idol culture took over Joshi, and it's spawned an army of creepy man baby fans who actually use japanese phrases like "kawaii" in day to day speech as if that's normal. There's still a lot of great Joshi wrestlers out there, but the scene has absolutely suffered because of the culture shift. Less focus on athletic ability, and more focus on looks and marketability has led to lots of shitty wrestlers getting pushes when in the past, they would have been kicked out of the training group on week one.

I imagine it's a similar mentality from the Sasha and Bailey worshippers, as you put it. Admittedly, I batted hard for them early on, during the nxt days, but that was because of how good the matches were, and because it gave me hope that we might see the same AJW level quality in women's wrestling as a whole in the US. That didn't pan out, obviously.

All that said, I get why fans would get really attached to Io, because she's REALLY good in the ring. Sasha too, when she's not trying to break her own neck. But there are absolutely people who take it to far.
Fignuts is offline   Reply With Quote