View Single Post
Old 05-01-2020, 09:34 PM   #55117
Seanny One Ball
World Class References

Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
That's the beauty of MMA, it's hard to tell if someone is acting weird because they have given up or because they are outclassed.
Ken Shamrock worked a good number of fights early on and I have no problem believing that some of his later fights were extremely questionable given the level of opponent he was facing. I think when it comes to the UFC he was likely, at worst, guilty of fighting when he had to know he was going to lose pretty badly so his fights against Ortiz and Franklin were only feasible on paper.
I think Dana White used his name value to boost a couple of people who would have done well without it, which he is continually guilty of to this day.

Dana rigs things in people's favour but I'm not sure he has outright paid a guy to take a dive. I think referees, judges and fighters have been influenced in all of the most traditional ways though.

Maybe a ref stops getting used as much or has various rules emphasised to them before the match or an unsuited fighter takes a fight on short notice for a guaranteed 3 fight contract after.

Dana White is like a horrible mixture of Vince and every boxing promoter ever but like they were, he's smarter than the carnies so the fixing is all much smarter.

Small-time logic would be "It's easier to pay a guy to lose than pay a guy to win" but that's why the worst fixes are so obvious.
If you want to make it hard to spot you buy the entire business that the refs, judges and athletes compete in.
Seanny One Ball is offline   Reply With Quote