View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 07:38 PM   #10864
Seanny One Ball
World Class References

Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Manson Family Vacation - 4/4

This is so brilliantly written that I only knew fully what it was about when it ended. For a steadily paced film with no great tricks or flash that puts a lot of value in the script. That the two lead performances were up to the standard of the writing says a lot about the actors themselves. Jay Duplass is as solid an actor as you'll find but he brings a lot to this one. It's easy to highlight Linas Phillips as the stand out but I think the subtlety of Jay's performance brings out the very best and most likeable version of the character Phillips is playing. The best way I can say it is that the film is as open and honest as the relationship between the lead characters, which is to say that the truth comes out in the end... not a moment before.

I think the ending itself serves as a way to hurl perspective into a situation which none of us would be prepared for, and it does so in a split second through a fence with a look that hit me for six.

I should say it's not a big fiery twist ending or anything, this is an almost purely emotionally driven film and the situation is a strange familial one, certainly not a strangely familiar one...
Seanny One Ball is offline   Reply With Quote