View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #2285
Fignuts
Hey Mister!

Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Holy fuck balls, if you havn't checked out the recent Spider-Woman comic, get off your fucking ass. I guess it started as one of those digital motion comics or whatever? I dunno I downloaded the regular comic version, but damn if it's not the best book I've read in a long time.

It takes place shortly after secret invasion, and agent brand of s.w.or.d. offers her a job as a detective with executive order, hunting down and killing unwanted alien presences. It's like a gritty, noir detective comic with aliens. Yeah, I know making things "gritty" has become an overdone cliche at this point, but in this case it actually works really well, and is not done, just for the sake of it. Also, the artwork suits the noir style perfectly, and is really really amazing work.

Helps that given her backstory, Jessica Drew is an interesting character, made even more interesting by the position she finds herself in after secret invasion. Sure the "Hero framed and unjustly hated by everyone" story has been done countless times, but rarely on this scale. Even more rare is that you really get to see how this affects the character on an emotional level. Usually with this kind of deal, the hero barely notices the hate coming his way, and sets off to clear his name. Well in this case, Drew's name is already cleared, and almost everyone in the world still hates her anyway. And this book really delves into what that does to a person.

On top of all that, there is a ton of action too. Very well drawn and put together action, at that. I was actually shocked at how much action there was given that it's mainly a detective story, with all that character stuff I mentioned thrown in. There is a perfect balance of all that stuff though, and the story moves a very good pace, because of it.

The bad news is, that despite Bendis having really big plans for the book, it's been put on hold for the moment. The artist is burnt out on the character after the first arc, and looking at how much work goes into the art, I completely believe him when he says he had to eat, sleep, and breathe spider-woman for the entire time he was working on it. And Bendis says he doesn't want to do the book with a different artist, so he will wait until Maleev comes back. Normally I don't agree with that type of decision, but in this case the art of Maleev is just too perfect for the story to accept anyone else. This book is one of those rare cases where everything just comes together, and removing one piece, could seriously damage the work as a whole.

That said, it is inevitable that they will return to it, given Bendis' love of the character, and just because of how damn good it is.

I will be buying the trade for this, post haste. I suggest you at least download and read this asap. It's only 7 issues in, so it's a quick dl. Get it.
Fignuts is offline   Reply With Quote