View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 11:47 PM   #1131
Jeritron
Get a poke on

Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I think they just need to find the right angle. No need to depower him. They also need to exploit viable foes more.

The movies have never really done justice to any villains other than Lex Luthor. It's always just Luthor and his latest real estate scheme.
I think in addition to a good story, people want to see an exciting action movie. Superman can't slug it out with Luthor unless they do the kryptonite suit which they never have.
I think Zod or Doomsday allows people to see Supes tear it up the way they've seen other big screen superheroes.

I don't think it would be a bad idea to show Superman earn his mantle. Perhaps he shouldn't be so idolized right off the bad. Perhaps he should be feared and misunderstood, and face some human resistance before becoming the savior figure.

I don't want to see him de-powered. Through writing you can de-power him without actually de-powering him. You don't have to show off all of his powers or depict them to such extremes, but you also don't have to make a point of taking them away.

I'm really happy they chose Zack Snyder though. From the sound of it he has a good approach to the character:

Quote:
He's a tricky one nowadays, isn't he? He's the king daddy of all comic-book heroes, but I'm just not sure how you sell that kind of earnestness to a sophisticated audience anymore."
I know he can direct this type of movie properly. He just has to pull it off, and a great script and story is going to be the key.
Visually I think he'll make Superman stand out. I look forward to seeing a different looking movie from the Donner and Singer ones.
Jeritron is offline   Reply With Quote