TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   video games forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Rate the Game: Week 50 - ***THE GRAND FINALE???*** (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=138068)

M-A-G 03-15-2021 10:34 AM

Rate the Game: Week 50 - ***THE GRAND FINALE???***

Well, we made it, boys and girls. It took a mere 50 weeks *ahem :shifty:* but we're finally here. The final game from the pile is ready to be pulled out and unleashed on all of our candy asses! It's been a hell of a run and it's been a high point of my time here on TPWW going back and enjoying/dissing these memorable titles. I'm certainly eager to get this last piece of business taken care but we have one other last piece of business to take care of, namely figuring out where last week's Twisted Metal falls on our glorious list. Let's find out while simultaneously reflecting on the history from these last 49 entries:

<select><option selected="">Rate the Game Results

<option>1. Super Mario Bros. 3 (4.7)</option>
<option>2. Chrono Trigger (4.5)</option>
<option>3. (TIE) Mega Man 2 (4.44), Donkey Kong Country (4.44)</option>
<option>5. Super Mario Bros. (4.41)</option>
<option>6. Metal Gear Solid (4.33)</option>
<option>7. Shadow of the Colossus (4.28)</option>
<option>8. Super Street Fighter 2 (4.15)</option>
<option>9. Sonic the Hedgehog (4.14)</option>
<option>10. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (4.125)</option>
<option>11. Super Mario 64 (4.07)</option>
<option>12. (TIE) Grand Theft Auto 3 (4.06), The Legend of Zelda (4.06)</option>
<option>14. (FOUR-WAY TIE) NBA Jam (4.0), Super Mario Kart (4.0), Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (4.0), Super Metroid (4.0)</option>
<option>18. Final Fantasy 7 (3.94)</option>
<option>19. Mega Man (3.89)</option>
<option>20. Half-Life (3.83)</option>
<option>21. (THREE-WAY TIE) Contra (3.8), Castlevania (3.8), Devil May Cry (3.8)</option>
<option>24. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (3.7)</option>
<option>25. Tetris (3.69)</option>
<option>26. Mortal Kombat 2 (3.67)</option>
<option>27. Diablo (3.66)</option>
<option>28. StarFox (3.61)</option>
<option>29. (TIE) Doom (3.6), Mortal Kombat (3.6)</option>
<option>31. Resident Evil (3.58)</option>
<option>32. (TIE) Killer Instinct (3.5), Ninja Gaiden (3.5)</option>
<option>34. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (3.39)</option>
<option>35. Resident Evil: Nemesis (3.38)</option>
<option>36. Quake (3.2)</option>
<option>37. Pac-Man (3.125)
<option>38. Virtua Fighter (3.09)
<option>39. (THREE-WAY TIE) Time Crisis (3.0), Tekken (3.0), Earthworm Jim (3.0)</option>
<option>42. Streets of Rage (2.8)</option>
<option>43. (TIE) Silent Hill (2.6), The Sims (2.6)</option>
<option>45. (TIE) Tomb Raider (2.5), Halo (2.5)</option>
<option>47. Twisted Metal (2.42)</option>
<option>48. Gran Turismo (2.3)</option>
<option>49. Ghosts n' Goblins (2.14)</option>
</select>

Well, it flirts with the last place position but doesn't claim it. However, 47 isn't particularly impressive either. Well, I guess there's only thing left to do now. Container, do your worst!

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/JLJkKLggnZVgiyhLQx" width="480" height="269" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/JLJkKLggnZVgiyhLQx">via GIPHY</a></p>

Here we go....

...WHATEVER COULD IT BE???..........

...the anticipation must be killing you!!!....

...I just know I'm going to get hate no matter what it is :o....

....I apologize in advance.......

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/4OngdnffmW6yB2Sjq6" width="480" height="269" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/4OngdnffmW6yB2Sjq6">via GIPHY</a></p>

And there it is. Gears of War, the original that kicked off another popular shooter franchise on the Xbox 360. The container has spoken. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to pass judgment on this game. Where shall it rank on our leaderboard? Amongst the elite or drowning with the mediocre? Vote, discuss, and be merry! Here's to the big 5-0!

Savio 03-15-2021 11:28 AM

It was ok

drave 03-15-2021 11:33 AM

I remember it having a slow start, but really picking up the pace. They did a pretty good job with big open "set pieces" in parts of the game. Making the enemies huge is always fun too (one of my fav things about Monster Hunter).

It did something right, as it def made me wanna pick up GoW 2, which was far superior.

I'll give it a 3. Good game, but nothing that blew my mind or whatever.

Sepholio 03-15-2021 11:45 AM

Also 3. Decent game but nothing special in the grand scheme of things.

M-A-G 03-15-2021 12:06 PM

As an aside, if I do decide to do more of this I'm eyeing one of those bingo tumblers or a bowl. Sticking my hand in that glass was such a pain.

drave 03-15-2021 01:28 PM

/r/dontputyourdickinthat

M-A-G 03-15-2021 03:40 PM

I remember my friend making a big stink about the first one but that petered out fairly quickly. I never played past the second game. I don't know what it was specifically but I couldn't get that invested in the story. The control scheme took while to get used to especially when it felt like I was controlling ten tons of tractor instead of a person. It offers a lot of neat set pieces and it's hard to not get attached to some of the characters, Carmine in particular. Graphically, it takes full advantage of the engine and some of the enemies are cool but it's artistically dull to look at and nothing really differentiates one title from another visually. If you were to take a random screenshot from one of the first three games and show it to me asking me from which entry it's from, I doubt I'd be able to do it. So, it's a bit of a mixed bag for me. I did enjoy the second game slightly better, though. I guess a 3 will have to do for this one.

ClockShot 03-15-2021 04:08 PM

All the hype and it was really nothing to write home about. I played the first 2.

I'd have given it a 2.5. But since that option isn't available, I'll be generous and give it a 3.

Destor 03-15-2021 06:55 PM

i remember a friend couldnt beat the boss and i had never played it. i picked up the controller and 1st tried it.

pretty lame game

Emperor Smeat 03-15-2021 06:58 PM

If this was Gears 2 or 3, I would rate it higher but Gears 1 was the the type of game I heard a lot about but didn't bother playing until years later like with Halo 1 and LoZ Ocarina of Time.

Never got past the 1st Act because of the AI being somewhat brain dead against the Berserker boss battle but did have some enjoyment with the game up until that point. Also didn't bother with the game's multiplayer since I wasn't that interested in online play back in the day and it lacked bots for offline matches.

Fignuts 03-16-2021 01:37 AM

I really enjoyed it at the time so I have to give it a 4. It was gritty and dirty before every game was gritty and dirty. The controls felt tighter and smoother than most shooters at the time, and sticking to cover worked well and wasn't a common feature before Gears.
The fight with the Berserker (hus!) always stood out as a fun fight to me.

M-A-G 03-16-2021 12:53 PM

YAY @ Fignuts rejoining us!

M-A-G 03-17-2021 12:30 PM

So I am leaning towards giving this another go but certain scheduling nonsense might force me to do it on another day of the week, probably Tuesdays. I have plenty of games that I'd want to tackle but if anyone has ideas of titles of their own feel free to lay it on me and I'll see about adding them. I don't think I have a set number in mind as to where to cut it off but we'll see. Thanks again to everyone who participated and who might participate in the future.

drave 03-17-2021 12:36 PM

will def look forward to the almighty return

M-A-G 03-17-2021 12:41 PM

So who was the best Carmine brother? I never played the third entry and I don't know if any other members pop up in the other games so I can only pick from the first two. The one in the second game was pretty funny. I actually felt bad when he met his fate.

Curtis 03-21-2021 06:47 PM

Never played it, it looked cool but there were other games I wanted to get and didn't have "disposable" income when I was 12 or whenever this game came out,

M-A-G 03-22-2021 12:19 PM

Going to try working on the next batch tonight so that way we can kick it off tomorrow, if I remember that is. :o