TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   entertainment forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Cobra Kai - SPOILERS INSIDE (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=134888)

Ol Dirty Dastard 01-02-2021 07:40 PM

the moment in question was very Darth Vader at the end of Return of the Jedi when he press slams the Emperor. Despite it's sorta randomness, that fact in and of itself makes me enjoy it.

rez 01-02-2021 07:49 PM

I think that character will take a backseat next season. Too much other shit going on. He'll probably have a tournament moment that is his real character redemption. I still cannot imagine Mrs. LaRusso giving him Crystal Light any time soon at the dojo.

Damian Rey 2.0 01-02-2021 09:06 PM

This damn Mr. Myagi letter is ripping me to shreds right now.

Ol Dirty Dastard 01-02-2021 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rez (Post 5408582)
I think that character will take a backseat next season. Too much other shit going on. He'll probably have a tournament moment that is his real character redemption. I still cannot imagine Mrs. LaRusso giving him Crystal Light any time soon at the dojo.

I think they wanted to explore more with him. There was untapped potential to take a real deep dive--but I think there's just too much going on.

Damian Rey 2.0 01-02-2021 09:14 PM

Ralph Macchio was such a good underdog babyface as a kid

Ol Dirty Dastard 01-02-2021 09:15 PM

He definitely knew how to fight from beneath and sell without dying.

Damian Rey 2.0 01-02-2021 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dastardly One (Post 5408610)
He definitely knew how to fight from beneath and sell without dying.

The Bret Hart of 80s teen movies

Ol Dirty Dastard 01-02-2021 09:25 PM

He's honestly just a very good actor. I wonder if his association with the 80s/very early 90s prevented him from landing more roles over the past few decades.

Now that he's more seasoned, he's working pretty consistently as more of a character actor. He played a dirty cop in The Deuce (written by the same dude who created the Wire) and was great.

Damian Rey 2.0 01-02-2021 09:39 PM

I think the Karate Kid series doomed him. The Outsiders was a breakthrough for a lot of its young cast. The next thing he did was Karate Kid.

Meanwhile the show continues doing a good job of making most of Cobra Kai, especially Hawk, unlikable assholes.

Ol Dirty Dastard 01-02-2021 09:44 PM

You forget he was also in my cousin vinnie and very good. There's a few other roles he had with much success. I'm sure Karate Kid didn't help too much--probably because he's got such a distinct appearance.

Black Widow 01-02-2021 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dastardly One (Post 5408562)
SPOILER: show
Re: Hawk

I think Kyler joining Cobra Kai was a tipping point. Suddenly, he found himself in the bloody fight and he's on fucking Kyler's side beating the shit out of his once bestfriends. It's what snapped him out of it. Plus, he was haunted by breaking Dmitri's arm.

That said, I agree, more focus should have been centered around his struggle. They touched upon his trauma last season and I wish they gave us more.

Has anyone got their ass beat on the show more than this Kyler guy?

Damian Rey 2.0 01-02-2021 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dastardly One (Post 5408616)
You forget he was also in my cousin vinnie and very good. There's a few other roles he had with much success. I'm sure Karate Kid didn't help too much--probably because he's got such a distinct appearance.

I'm glad he's back in the limelight, getting the praise and credit he's deserved for a while. It's kinda like Michael Keaton. He's done a ton since Batman Returns, but only recently has he seemingly received the praise he deserves, and now he's coming full circle by getting to be Batman again.

Keaton Batman and Daniel-San back in our lives. What a time to be alive.

rez 01-02-2021 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Widow (Post 5408621)
Has anyone got their ass beat on the show more than this Kyler guy?

good point. he was supposed to be a good rassler, maybe decent judo. nope

rez 01-02-2021 11:20 PM

"These kids have no respect for prior generations!"

beer held

under 18 karate dojo attacks house

Ol Dirty Dastard 01-03-2021 12:05 AM

I felt bad for Robbie but it was pretty funny when he was pissed at seeing Miguel and Sam. Like, my dude, you temporarily paralyzed this guy, you don't really have the right to be pissed. Plus, Miguel isn't even mad at Robbie for injuring him.

rez 01-03-2021 12:25 AM

ah shit. yeah, he just became a plot point that got out of juvey way early

rez 01-03-2021 12:27 AM

thought a good storyline could have happened between him and his bully. nah

rez 01-03-2021 12:30 AM

too many storylines, even with billboard ads. the show needs social media fights between the dweedbs

Damian Rey 2.0 01-03-2021 06:07 AM

Just finished up. I lied about Hawk. While he's been unlikable for a while, he at least seemed to have some regret and eventually tries redeeming himself.

Robbie on the other hand, is just a big dummy. He continually acts irrationally and jumps to conclusions, making wrong decision after wrong decision and hating everyone else for it.

He's like the Wish app version of his dad. All the bad attitude and poor decision making, none of the personal growth and charm.

Loved season 3. Loved the callbacks, which they continually do really well without making it overkill. I love the big brawls they keep incorporating. The cheese factor is still great. Elizabeth Shue was used perfectly. And now season 4 is set up nicely.

I love this show so much.

Ol Dirty Dastard 01-03-2021 06:27 AM

If there's one thing this show gets right, it's cheesiness. Hits strong like an aged Manchego.

Ol Dirty Dastard 01-03-2021 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rez (Post 5408646)
thought a good storyline could have happened between him and his bully. nah

Remember, there's always next season. That bully might find himself in Cobra Kai.

Seanny One Ball 01-03-2021 11:47 AM

The Hawk/Dmitri angle was probably the best, most shocking thing about season 3.

Damian Rey 2.0 01-03-2021 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanny One Ball (Post 5408749)
The Hawk/Dmitri angle was probably the best, most shocking thing about season 3.

It certainly came outta nowhere as hawk seemed hell bent on being an asshole.

Also, they're just going all in on Tory being a crazy, unstable, jealous jezebel.

Ol Dirty Dastard 01-03-2021 12:15 PM

They make her sympathetic in a way....I think where Kreese goes, she will go. And IMO, Kreese will have his redemption.

Damian Rey 2.0 01-03-2021 01:22 PM

They didn't play up her struggles too much. At least not after establishing that she was dealt a tough hand.

But I get her descent into madness more than Robbie. Robbie has people trying to help him and he just refuses and keeps being a big dummy making awful decisions.

Another thing I wanted to note is how they used Ali. She was sassy and confident and funny. I was worried that Johnny was gonna ruin what he had with Carmen by clinging to Ali. Then she gave him the whole go get your future speech and Johnny didn't do anything dumb.

Seanny One Ball 01-03-2021 02:41 PM

My boss at work spoiled big chunks of this for my colleague just to be a dick.

Was bad.

Ol Dirty Dastard 01-03-2021 02:56 PM

Hmm...what's the dynamic there? Depending on the situation, I either hate or like your boss.

rez 01-03-2021 11:11 PM

Johnny shouldn't be alive. The dude lives off Coors Banquet beers, gas station food, and the occasional old as fuck OJ. Yet...YET.. Ali thought about dat unwashed dick hours after Carmen was on it.

Ol Dirty Dastard 01-03-2021 11:14 PM

Johnny has killer genes and looks killer in jeans.

Seanny One Ball 01-04-2021 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dastardly One (Post 5408864)
Hmm...what's the dynamic there? Depending on the situation, I either hate or like your boss.

He wanted to hurt us but settled for collateral damage

McLegend 01-06-2021 10:08 PM

That season 3 finale is an all time TV episode.

Unreal

McLegend 01-06-2021 10:10 PM

Looks like Seanny and Dale get their wish.

Ol Dirty Dastard 01-06-2021 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dastardly One (Post 5377516)
I feel like Robbie should be serving a stint in Juvi for attempted murder.

Happy I pointed this out when Season 2 ended. Feel like a genius.

McLegend 01-06-2021 10:20 PM

One minor complaint..

I like the Kresse backstory, but I also hate the Kreese backstory. It’s done really well, but John Kresse should not be sympathetic. He’s the greatest villain ever I don’t need a backstory for him.

Again with that said it is done well.

Ol Dirty Dastard 01-06-2021 10:27 PM

I see where you're coming from but the whole point of the show is to make very black and white characters various shades of grey. Of course, Kreese is still black but now with a very minor touch of grey.

Damian Rey 2.0 01-07-2021 01:28 AM

I like that we got to see where Kreese's humanity ended. It makes him that much better a villain. He was a good man. He could be again. But he chooses not to be.

Ol Dirty Dastard 01-07-2021 08:53 AM

Also that British Bulldog/Hart Foundation/WM3 reference was awesome. So specific too. A thing of beauty.

#WorldClassReferences

Big Vic 01-07-2021 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLegend (Post 5411214)
One minor complaint..

I like the Kresse backstory, but I also hate the Kreese backstory. It’s done really well, but John Kresse should not be sympathetic. He’s the greatest villain ever I don’t need a backstory for him.

Again with that said it is done well.

The only thing I really disliked about it was that he beat up the 2 jocks with martial arts with no training after they were making him out to be some loser.

Ol Dirty Dastard 01-07-2021 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Vic (Post 5411409)
The only thing I really disliked about it was that he beat up the 2 jocks with martial arts with no training after they were making him out to be some loser.

How do you know he had no martial arts training? They never clarified that.

Black Widow 01-07-2021 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dastardly One (Post 5409276)
Johnny has killer genes and looks killer in jeans.

Whole cast is pretty attractive minus one or two people.