TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   entertainment forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Anime Thread (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=80720)

Fignuts 05-11-2019 04:01 AM

Watching the second season of One Punch Man. So good.

Fignuts 05-11-2019 05:00 AM

It's like someone read all of Triple A's posts and made an anime protagonist out of them.

Seanny One Ball 05-11-2019 11:14 AM

On Netflix?!

Fignuts 05-11-2019 02:13 PM

No. Watching it by "other means".

Tom Guycott 05-16-2019 12:41 AM

I finally got around to watching gen:LOCK. It's actually pretty fucking good, and eagerly await a second season. My only (admittedly nitpicky) complaints are:

a) While the lore isn't necessary, it would have done well with a tad more exposition into the world as to understand the situation they're in. If this were a video game, we could prob'ly go around reading terminals to glean why and how the world is as it is. Here, we're just kinda dropped into it. There is also something that feels like a plot conclusion that people jumped to halfway through, but I can't describe it without spoilers. It seems like if there were even one more episode in the season somewhere, both of those things could have been ironed out without dragging any pace. Granted, 9 episodes would have been a weird number, but they can do whatever they want with their own show.

b) The animation... it's a little... jerky. There is this "lag" that I remember from a show like Zoids. Best way I can describe what I mean is if you tried to watch an episode of Beast Wars, but instead of on TV, you printed all the CG onto cells for the whole episode, and printed them in a flip book. It looks nice, but it moves a little choppy. Given that it is a RoosterTeeth producion that is built as animation from the ground up (as opposed to running on an existing game engine and being maniupulated as they're famed for), it is a damn good first attempt, and hope they can polish that up in the future.

Fignuts 05-17-2019 06:07 AM

Couple episodes into Parasyte. Really good so far.

ClockShot 05-19-2019 07:24 PM

Zipped through all the seasons of Date A Live while I was on vacation last week. Not bad for being on hiatus for 5 years.

IGN had an article today about comparing Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice to Dororo. Think I'll jump into that next.

Destor 05-21-2019 09:25 PM

Dororo is amazing. Its true to the source material and livesuo to the anime from the 60s. A+

As good as any of the all time great animes

Fignuts 05-27-2019 06:51 AM

Claymore

I tried watching this before, but the first episode just didn't hook me at all.

Decided to give it another chance and after the first few episodes it does start to pick up and get really good.

Fuck Rocky though. Mad annoying character.

SPOILER: show

Bummed Ophelia got offed so quickly. She was great.

ClockShot 05-27-2019 07:46 AM

Love Claymore.

Yeah Figs, you gotta get through the first couple episodes before it shifts over to Claire and really gets going. And yes, Raki sucks.

Soundtrack is one of the best.

Blonde Moment 05-27-2019 09:40 PM

It's one of those that just makes me wish there was more

Tom Guycott 05-29-2019 05:33 AM

Claymore is the shit! I think I'm going to go watch it again at some point this week. Hopefully.

Seanny One Ball 06-07-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 5251359)
It's like someone read all of Triple A's posts and made an anime protagonist out of them.

lol

I bought One Punch Man on DVD and got 6 OA episodes. Dunno what OA is but I like it as a fun little extra.

This show is the business. I am constantly moving between laughing and silently emoting pure feels. Is season 2 as good so far?

Seanny One Ball 06-07-2019 12:13 PM

Anime is such a racket though. You want to see the prices of these DVD's and Blu Ray's. £20 for One Punch Man on DVD, £40 on Blu Ray.

Destor 06-07-2019 12:15 PM

OVAs are non canonical. Bonus eps.

Seanny One Ball 06-07-2019 12:25 PM

Oh yeah, it does say OVA.

That's Latin for eggs.
Spanish omelette for tea then.

Destor 06-07-2019 12:43 PM

"Original Animation Video" (they can be called OVA or OAV) basically its direct to DVD content. Cant stress that theyre 99% non-canonical though.

Steins;gate has an OVA that takes place after the series/source material that is completely contradicted by the follow up series.

The One Punch OVAs are good though. No canon implications really. Anthology misadventures. Good stuff.

Fignuts 06-07-2019 02:52 PM

Grew up on gundam so I always thought ova’s were canonical.

Fignuts 06-08-2019 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanny One Ball (Post 5259478)
lol

I bought One Punch Man on DVD and got 6 OA episodes. Dunno what OA is but I like it as a fun little extra.

This show is the business. I am constantly moving between laughing and silently emoting pure feels. Is season 2 as good so far?

It's fucking great.

ClockShot 06-14-2019 08:20 PM

Kakegurui season 2 dropped on Netflix.

Watched the first episode and it's just as wacky and twisted as the first season.

Destor 06-18-2019 10:10 PM

I watched the series Eden of the East a few years back. 11 eps but a great show. Always stuck with me. It has great closure with the arcs told within and is self contained but theres a larger arc left unresolved that was tied up with 2 feature length films.

For whatever reason i never got around to them. Watched the first yesterday...nothing happens. At all. Nothing is progressed or revealed. Truly poorly written. This is from the guy who did ghost in the shell so bad writing is the last thing you expect.

Watching the 2nd film now. 20 min in and nothing has happened but im optinistic everything gets wrapped up...but its begining to feel like an OVA the same way the 1st film did...which is not what i was looking for...

Its possible the films were meant to wrap things up and a 2nd 11 ep run was meant to but never happened? I dunno...speculating.

Destor 06-18-2019 11:00 PM

After the 1st act the film gets back on track and becomes the poignant social commentary that the 1st film lacked.

RP 06-22-2019 08:16 PM

Never watched Anime, but i started watching Neon Genesis : Evangelion and i'm kinda hooked atm. I'm on episode 4. I'm gonna be pretty disappointed if Shinji doesnt get to fuck Misato.

McLegend 06-22-2019 09:05 PM

One punch season 2 is good. Fuck the haters

RP 06-22-2019 09:27 PM

Are all the good Anime dubbed with English and what are the good ones on Netflix?

Seanny One Ball 06-22-2019 11:05 PM

One Punch Man

You will not regret it.

ClockShot 06-23-2019 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RP (Post 5263157)
Are all the good Anime dubbed with English and what are the good ones on Netflix?

Netflix lately has been churning out their own Anime. They have a selection of good stuff you might be familiar with (Fairy Tail, Attack of Titan to name a few), but Netflix hasn't added the remaining seasons.

Lately, it looks like they're getting back into adding some classic titles to their library. Code Geass and Evangelion are the 2 big ones I noticed.

Sepholio 06-23-2019 08:33 AM

You want a great anime on Netflix? Seven Deadly Sins. Season 4 supposed to come out later this year.

Sepholio 06-23-2019 08:34 AM

and while not all the good anime are dubbed into English, most of them are nowadays. I rather enjoy the trend of the simuldub, where we get the dubs at the same time or at least fairly fast after the native language broadcast.

Sepholio 06-23-2019 08:41 AM

Also if you like One Punch Man seriously give Mob Pyscho 100 a chance. Very similar but at the same time entirely different.

Also can't recommend Psycho Pass highly enough.

My favorites during the current season are The Rising of the Shield Hero and Bungo Stray Dogs.

Destor 06-23-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seph (Post 5263206)
You want a great anime on Netflix? Seven Deadly Sins. Season 4 supposed to come out later this year.

Not to be "that guy" but what they call s2 is the OVAs from s1 and I expect whats coming as s4 will be the OVAs from s2.

No clue why netflix labeled them they way they did.

Destor 06-23-2019 12:35 PM

Theyre creating ff3/ff6 confusion in terms though

Sepholio 06-23-2019 03:53 PM

Yeah, it was pretty weird how they did that. I'm under the impression that season 4 is a full season though.

Destor 06-23-2019 04:03 PM

I wont object. The show is great.

Destor 06-23-2019 04:04 PM

If a full season does drop itll only be s3 though

Sepholio 06-25-2019 02:48 PM

Yeah. I know that. You know that. It'll be listed as season 4 though so why confuse people over semantics?

Destor 06-25-2019 02:49 PM

because if you go to buy these you're going to get confused.

Destor 06-25-2019 02:50 PM

Its only netlfix that has these listed wrong. anywhere else you go to purchase (or illegally watch) these is going to have them correctly.

Sepholio 06-25-2019 02:51 PM

Just watched the latest One Punch Man. All these upgrades Genos gets every time he is defeated seem to finally be paying off. And he seems like he's getting "woke" within the context of the show, i.e. he is finally starting to understand the advice Saitama gives him.

ClockShot 06-25-2019 05:27 PM

:nono:

Can't believe Netflix fucked around with Evangelion.

Might have to just put the breaks on that and just watch through a website.

Destor 06-25-2019 05:36 PM

Removing the gay romance is pretty bad imo. You dont change the artists vision.

ClockShot 06-25-2019 06:06 PM

That, re-dubbing with their own guys, being to cheap to pay for Fly me to the Moon.

Emperor Smeat 06-25-2019 06:12 PM

A sequel to Dragon Ball Super: Broly reportedly is currently in production and could be released as early as late 2020.

https://screenrant.com/dragon-ball-s...se-date-story/

Destor 06-25-2019 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClockShot (Post 5264038)
That, re-dubbing with their own guys, being to cheap to pay for Fly me to the Moon.

I welcome the redub and i can youtube the closing credits whenever i want

Kalyx triaD 06-25-2019 06:34 PM

The script was also altered and I'm not too crazy about that since it's one of my fave western anime script translations ever.

I wanted exactly what I knew to get released again, never considered they'd actually redo the dubbing to that degree. That's a no deal.

Destor 06-25-2019 07:09 PM

Changing the narritive is any way is unacceptable. Art has to be authentic or its worthless

RP 06-25-2019 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClockShot (Post 5264027)
:nono:

Can't believe Netflix fucked around with Evangelion.

Might have to just put the breaks on that and just watch through a website.

I'm in the middle of this on Netflix. What's not included?

ClockShot 06-26-2019 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RP (Post 5264245)
I'm in the middle of this on Netflix. What's not included?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destor (Post 5264030)
Removing the gay romance is pretty bad imo. You dont change the artists vision.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClockShot (Post 5264038)

RP 06-26-2019 08:36 AM

gay romance? I hope its Misato.

McLegend 06-27-2019 08:31 AM

Garou is the man. I always love the bad guy who really isn’t that bad of a guy. It gets me every time.

And the last episode was the best. The beginning of The Bang and Garou confrontation was intense. The season has benefited from not having much Saitama overall.

I hope the show doesn’t go on hiatus for another 3.5 years after this season. Also excited to rewatch when the dub comes out... whenever that is.

Fignuts 06-27-2019 07:25 PM

Garou is fantastic. His relationship with the little hero fanboy is one of the best parts of the series.

ClockShot 06-30-2019 03:58 PM

Season 4 of Attack on Titan will be it's last.

Fignuts 06-30-2019 04:04 PM

Story took a turn in the manga, and not for the better

McLegend 07-02-2019 09:53 PM

Loved the One Punch finale. Strong 2nd season.

Hope it gets a 3rd season soon.

ClockShot 07-05-2019 06:40 AM

Katsuhiro Otomo, the creator of Akira, has announced that a new series and movie is coming at the L.A. Anime Expo.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/07...-akira-creator

Seanny One Ball 07-09-2019 01:35 AM

I caught One Punch Man season 2 in a dubbed, mangled YouTube format but it was still good. I loved Siuryu(?) the martial artist, his arc was hopefully the beginning of something special for next season. Garou was fucking great too, I honestly thought
SPOILER: show
he had killed Mumen Rider
. I was horrified.

One fair complaint would be the regression with Saitama. He's completely halted his quest for a challenge, now he's just playing video games. It lacked the comedy he usually provides, maybe that was a bad subtitle thing. Also WTF with the bad language and tits everywhere? I wonder if the first season had that but they chopped it out for Western tastes or something?

Fignuts 07-09-2019 03:41 AM

What tits?

You probably watched a fansub. Official release probably won't have the foul language.

I dunno I thought Saitama was pretty funny. This season was definitely more about Garou though. I could see the series building towards Garou getting stronger and stronger until he's the one who can finally battle Saitama toe to toe for the show's final battle.

As for his quest for a challenge, I mean yeah, he wants that for sure, but its not why he's a hero. So it didn't really bother me that he didn't focus on that this season.

Seanny One Ball 07-09-2019 11:03 AM

There were tits everywhere a female character showed up, then you'd see their jugs straining against their top mid fight.

Also he's a hero for fun but he's not having any fun because he can't find a challenge. Ennui isn't enough on its own, there has to be some optimism to make it palatable and it seems to me that he was far more negative this season. There was significantly less of him too.

It was a few points off the first impeccable season.

Seanny One Ball 07-09-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seph (Post 5263991)
Just watched the latest One Punch Man. All these upgrades Genos gets every time he is defeated seem to finally be paying off. And he seems like he's getting "woke" within the context of the show, i.e. he is finally starting to understand the advice Saitama gives him.

His entire advice has been "Be stronger" and Genos still keeps losing bigger fights only to be saved by a man who has great power but no enthusiasm or obvious motivation.
Genos is motivated by revenge, Saitama at this point is just drifting between passionless good deeds looking for a challenge he may never find, encountering skills he can easily defeat.

I dunno if the show is making a point about purpose or goals anymore, it's quite hard to see where it's going but I have to admit it still hits me right in the space between love and fear so I'll often find myself overpowered by laughter or empathy only to feel the terror of life's great unknowns following distantly behind.

It is brilliant, but it's so much more than just a funny cartoon.

I wish I was aware enough to totally understand it but maybe leaving me with questions is part of the appeal. All I know is that I watched the first season three times in a few months so hopefully the official English dub of season 2 comes out soon so I can feast my eyes properly and fill in whatever I missed with those odd YouTube cuts.

Sepholio 07-09-2019 01:38 PM

Seriously, watch Mob Psycho 100. It's the other show/manga the creator of One Punch Man pens.

Seanny One Ball 07-09-2019 03:46 PM

But where can I see that? Not on Netflix or Amazon Prime

Destor 07-10-2019 12:14 AM

7 seeds on netflix. Vwry early so it could fall apart buts its got some lord of the flies vibes with a sci-fi twist. Has potential.

Destor 07-10-2019 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanny One Ball (Post 5267694)
But where can I see that? Not on Netflix or Amazon Prime

its on the funimation app

ClockShot 07-18-2019 10:33 AM

Kyoto Animation is currently burning to the ground due to an arson attack. Death toll is up to 28 last I checked.

They're not known for much, but Violet Evergarden is their big hit right now over on Netflix.

:(

Fignuts 07-18-2019 12:05 PM

Jesus

Destor 07-18-2019 01:11 PM

Kalyx triaD 08-02-2019 03:12 PM

She Ra season 3 gets therapeutic on ya.

Destor 08-17-2019 03:24 AM

Dr. Stone

the premise is bizarre but it works. Everyone on earth is turned to stone. A brialliant scientist breaks free thousnads of years later and begins to reubuild from scratch.

ClockShot 08-17-2019 08:18 PM

Cop Craft.

Pretty much the "dimension/world appears near a city and the 2 races co-exist" premise mixed with the buddy cop plot line.

Kinda like Blood Blockade Battlefront. But it's not a team of super human ass kickers. Just a male human cop and a female alien knight thrown together due to circumstances.

Destor 08-18-2019 12:38 AM

Kinda hated blood blockade. Characters were all flat. World too.

Destor 08-18-2019 11:56 PM

Just caught cop craft. Def "if blockade was good"

Sepholio 08-19-2019 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destor (Post 5278269)
Dr. Stone

the premise is bizarre but it works. Everyone on earth is turned to stone. A brialliant scientist breaks free thousnads of years later and begins to reubuild from scratch.

Love this show. Prob my favorite of the current season. Fire Force is also pretty cool.

Destor 08-19-2019 10:25 AM

Watched the 1st ep of mob psycho 100 on sephs recommendation. Bizarre and unhinged. Wonderful.

Sepholio 08-19-2019 04:41 PM

Yeah it's a very fun show. Wish it and OPM had longer seasons.

Started watching ASTRA LOST IN SPACE. Star Trek vibes for sure.

Sepholio 09-05-2019 05:24 PM

I decided to start Copcraft after seeing Destor mention it up there and needing something to watch. I really like it. The lore has me intrigued more than anything.

Destor 09-05-2019 05:44 PM

Not anime but Carnival Row has a lot of the same themes as Cop Craft. Slow start but its worth a watch.

ClockShot 09-05-2019 06:54 PM

Blasted through In Another World with my Smartphone.

Eh. I liked Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody better in terms of the transported to another world and slowly develop a harem of girls plotline. More serious.

Sepholio 09-05-2019 07:59 PM

DUDE. DUDE. BOTH OF YOU DUDES.

Destor: Already have Carnival Row queued up, didn't know exactly what it was about, but the trailers did enough for me.

Clockshot: Haven't watched In Another World yet, but holy shit. You know about Death March. I have mad love for that one and really want a second season. I know the odds are it'll never happened as its one of those anime designed as a gateway to the LN/Manga, but still. Kind of obsessed with the whole "transported to/stuck in a game world" animes of the last few years. Overlord and That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime are my 2 favorite.

Sepholio 09-06-2019 07:17 PM

Turns out I had watched in another world with my smartphone before just didn't remember it until I started watching it last night. I love how this style of anime has ridiculous names, like Don't you love your mom and her two hit, multi-target attacks? lmao

Sepholio 09-11-2019 08:23 PM

So I need one of you guys to watch "The Promised Neverland" so we can discuss how it might be the best thing ever.

Destor 09-12-2019 01:42 AM

What streaming service is it on

Sepholio 09-12-2019 02:17 AM

I know Funi has it subbed, and I think Crunchyroll does as well. The thing is I know there is a dub because it ran on adult swim, I just can't find it anywhere legit....

ClockShot 09-14-2019 07:03 PM

Getting sick of how Netflix is handling their anime.

Messing around and saw their new Kabaneri movie is up. But, no series. Gotta watch that stuff on the Funimation app or one of the streaming sites. Just put up the extra cash and get it. :mad:

I wish they would go out and get the rest of Fairy Tail and Attack on Titan. Or just up and drop them.

Sepholio 10-01-2019 06:55 PM

The fall lineup for Funi is looking rather swell. Lot of stuff I'm down for. Fire Force, Dr. Stone and Black Clover all continuing. RADIANT getting a season 2. More FATE. Finishing up Fairy Gone. Couple new shows that seem pretty interesting.

Oh and some shit called My Hero Academia season 4, whatever that is. Looks alright I guess.

Destor 10-01-2019 07:04 PM

fuck im hyped for mha

Destor 10-01-2019 07:05 PM

Gotta plug it once more: amazon. Dororo. Must watch.

Helmsphere 10-01-2019 07:26 PM

Been watching Angels of Death while waiting for MHA. Girlfriend finally finished the original Dragon ball.

Destor 10-01-2019 07:54 PM

OG Dragon Ball is best Dragon Ball

ClockShot 10-01-2019 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destor (Post 5288570)
Gotta plug it once more: amazon. Dororo. Must watch.

Got a few episodes in but got sidetracked.

Haven't forgotten.

Kalyx triaD 10-01-2019 11:42 PM

Kill la Kill is glorious.

Destor 10-01-2019 11:47 PM

Actually rewatching kill la kill currently. About half in. My first watch was in Japanese. Watching the dub now. Dub is solid but something this bizarre is better in a (any) foreign language

Destor 10-01-2019 11:48 PM

Adds to the insanity

Fignuts 10-02-2019 12:40 AM

https://i.imgur.com/iXdlr8P.png

Destor 10-02-2019 01:01 AM

Its very situational for me. I like to give both versions a few eps and see if i develop a preference. I started watch MHA in both. Now im 100% on dubbed. Attack on Titan the opposite.

Fignuts 10-02-2019 01:04 AM

https://i.imgur.com/MU9bhRb.png

Kalyx triaD 10-02-2019 02:32 AM

The ENG vo on Kill la Kill is just chock full of the actors having too much fun. It works for me. Then again I default to dubs anyway.

Destor 10-03-2019 09:22 AM

I typically prefer English for one very simple reason: inflection is a huge part of acting (let alone voice acting) and inflection cant be appreciated (not truly anyways) in a language you dont speak.

That said sometimes ENG casting directors just dont get the long term vision of the JPN director so over time castings can fall apart as what a character grows into no longer fits the range of the actor. I try to give both an opportunity to sell me though. But i lean ENG.

Sepholio 10-05-2019 03:49 PM

Just binged Terror in Resonance. Don't know how I haven't ever heard of that one before. Absolutely incredible. Being directed by Watanabe and scored by Kanno helps any anime though.

ClockShot 10-09-2019 02:21 PM

Finished up Happy Lesson. It was fun. But, Tenchi Muyo is better.

Gonna circle back and finish Darling in the Franxx. Then get back into Beatless and Dororo. By then Cop Craft should be done and I can blast through that.

Then, start Strike The Blood.

Sepholio 10-09-2019 03:07 PM

Cop Craft is done now as far as I know. Think the ep I watched a couple days ago was the finale.

I just went back and binged Heroic Age again. Love that series. Wish there would have been more somehow.