TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   entertainment forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Anime Thread (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=80720)

Jura 02-08-2014 05:46 PM

Jessica Nigri

Fignuts 02-09-2014 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteyford (Post 4375224)
And what's the go to beginners anime series?

Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Samurai Champloo
Death Note
Soul Eater

All pretty great stuff.

Like I said, the original Ghost in the Shell movie is my favorite, but it's very heavy on philosophical queries and techno babble, and I'm not sure how good it is as an introduction to the medium.

whiteyford 02-09-2014 06:10 AM

I've watched bits and pieces usually after picking up the Manga, and Akira obviously, sure I own one of the Ghost In The Shell flicks, no idea which one but I don't think it's the first. Actually think I downloaded Genshiken a month back.

Jura 02-27-2014 10:06 PM

Do you guys buy DVDs, rent, download or stream?

Fignuts 02-27-2014 10:11 PM

Stream mostly off netflix and hulu, and random sites for everything else.

I buy stuff that I really like.

Dark-Slicer Diago 02-28-2014 08:10 AM

So far I've bought all the Dragon Ball/Z/GT box sets(the bricks), Bleach seasons 1-5 and boxset 6-12, needed to save up some money to buy the Power Ranger Helmet set but should be finishing Bleach soon. I'm just gonna buy all my anime when I can afford them.

road doggy dogg 03-02-2014 12:17 AM

Watched Princess Mononoke again the other night, forgot how much I love it

Tom Guycott 03-02-2014 12:20 AM

I had a Miyazaki-thon a couple weekends ago, and on the playlist was Princess Mononoke. Also, Ponyo, Howl's Moving Castle, and Spirited Away. Good times.

Tom Guycott 04-05-2014 02:09 AM

So, went back to Crunchyroll for the first time in a looooong time... shit, they came up in the world! I used to frequent it when they were on the low side of nothing in the number of titles they'd be streaming, (I think there was about 8-9 total) even though that included the weekly subtitled Naruto fix, and they didn't have a subscription service... all the videos had like 6 commercial breaks.

Fast foward to now... Jesus... ton of anime titles, dramas (if you're into that kind of thing), and they even have a store now.

All that ranting was leading to this- does anyone else here have the service to be able to suggest another title? Just ploughed through Kill la Kill, then watched Blade & Soul, but there's only one ep up, so that's kind of a dicktease.

Fignuts 04-05-2014 02:46 AM

Dunno if it's on crunchyroll, but I've been watching Now and Then Here and There on Hulu and it's really good.

Might be too dark and violent for crunchyroll though.

Tom Guycott 04-06-2014 12:35 AM

Looks like it has less to do with "dark and violent" (they have Fist of the North Star up, as well as Attack on Titan, and apparently plenty of other impossibly high pressured blood shower titles) and more to do with Central Park Media going bankrupt. I guess they *had* the rights to the show at one point, but not anymore.

I'll have to re-up my Hulu for that one.

Fignuts 04-06-2014 01:40 AM

It's honestly not that graphic.

It's one of those anime that seem upbeat at times, and has a light hearted art style but has a lot of moments that just make you go "jeeeeeeeeeeesus fuuuuuuuuck."

Jura 10-02-2014 10:32 PM

What are the top Anime within the past 5 years?

Tom Guycott 10-02-2014 11:47 PM

Outside of the requisite "Attack on Titan" mention... it saddens me to say that I have no idea.

I've been out of the loop, partially because real life got in the way when I started wading back into serious anime waters, and partially because there's so much saturated access anymore that I don't feel like wading through all the harem comedies to start watching stuff that will even hold my interest for whatever reason. Tried to watch Sword Art Online, for example, and had a decent premise first few episodes, then it seemed to get pretty stupid pretty quick. And I don't even know if that falls into your "5 year" deal. I used to be a little better about stuff like that.

Emperor Smeat 10-03-2014 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jura (Post 4521564)
What are the top Anime within the past 5 years?

Kill La Kill? That gets referenced a lot around the internet.

Kalyx triaD 10-03-2014 12:23 AM

Saw the first episode of that one. I think I'm gonna enjoy it.

Destor 10-03-2014 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD (Post 4521609)
Saw the first episode of that one. I think I'm gonna enjoy it.

I dug it. Gets way out there before its done but its very good. *note* watched it in Japanese no clue on the English version

Kalyx triaD 10-03-2014 06:52 AM

I rather English but Netflix only has the sub.

Shadow 10-03-2014 02:33 PM

Kill la Kill is actually a pretty good anime. Also the voice of the main girl's clothing? He did Momotaros from Kamen Rider Den-O and I always enjoy his work.

Jura 11-06-2014 02:51 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/F6mSdpMJCdc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lock Jaw 11-06-2014 04:34 PM

I hear that Naruto ended. Used to be "in to it" back in the day when I watched anime/read manga.

Rock Lee and his sensei Guy were the best. Someone fill me in on what happened to them.

Fignuts 11-06-2014 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lock Jaw (Post 4540380)
I hear that Naruto ended. Used to be "in to it" back in the day when I watched anime/read manga.

Rock Lee and his sensei Guy were the best. Someone fill me in on what happened to them.

Guy had a really awesome moment during the last arc, but Rock Lee was just kinda there.

All in all pretty disappointed with how it all ended. The Ninja War arc started out good but turned into a huge clusterfuck, and just got messier as it went on.

Epilogue was alright, but it was just really cliched. Yeah, I know it's a shonen and all, but I was hoping they were going to flip the script a bit and not be so predictable.

Dark-Slicer Diago 11-07-2014 07:47 AM

Well, at least Bleach's last arc isn't a huge clusterfuck, though I wonder how long it stays enjoyable.

Fignuts 12-07-2014 02:21 PM

New DBZ movie on the way. Two of Freiza's former henchmen gather the dragonballs and ressurect him. Enjoyed Battle of the Gods more than I thought I would, so I'm looking forward to this. Freiza was always my favorite villain too.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...VIE_NO._15.png

KIRA 12-07-2014 02:27 PM

So do these movies negate GT? (I made it a point to never watch that series)

Kalyx triaD 12-07-2014 02:44 PM

It seems all the new media can give a fuck about GT.

Kalyx triaD 12-07-2014 02:45 PM

And you people better be watching The Devil Is a Part Timer.

KIRA 12-07-2014 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD (Post 4553568)

I'll put it on my watch list

I need more anime recommendations.

Fignuts 12-08-2014 12:36 AM

GT was never canon as far as I know.

Helmsphere 12-08-2014 01:38 AM

Yeah, GT was created by someone else with Akira's input. Regardless I don't even count anything past the end of Z as apart of the series.

Glad Frieza is back, But honestly, He shouldn't even be a threat, cause he would be revived at whatever his last power level was. By that point Trunks and Goten, and Piccolo should be able to easily best him.

KIRA 12-08-2014 02:19 AM

Maybe He'll be more of a sneaky villain if he's physically outclassed.

Helmsphere 12-08-2014 03:19 AM

They should bring back Future Trunks and Cooler too. So that Trunks can officially say he's killed every member of that family.

Kalyx triaD 12-08-2014 01:28 PM

The 'escalation of power' dynamic in DBZ makes the return/resurrection of characters a tricky thing for the series. By the last saga of Z, even the B-Team could completely body early villains. Whether they're gonna choose to care about this for the sake of the movie... well this is DBZ. We all just wanna see a good fight.

Fignuts 12-08-2014 02:01 PM

Apparently Freiza has a new transformation.

Either way, nobody watches DBZ for logical plotlines.

Kalyx triaD 12-08-2014 02:01 PM

So his final form...

WASN'T EVEN HIS FINAL FORM

WE ARE ALL FOOLS

Fignuts 12-08-2014 02:18 PM

Hope if they do end up making a new series, that they model fights after how they're done in the movies.

The show was awesome to me as a kid, but it hasn't held up well over time. Most of the fights are just basic slugfests, where as in the movies, they are much slicker, and not just because of the animation quality. They're just better put together with a lot more cool moments.

Personally I think it works better as a movie series.

Kalyx triaD 12-08-2014 02:52 PM

The first Broly movie is everything I love about DBZ.

Emperor Smeat 12-08-2014 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 4553924)
Hope if they do end up making a new series, that they model fights after how they're done in the movies.

The show was awesome to me as a kid, but it hasn't held up well over time. Most of the fights are just basic slugfests, where as in the movies, they are much slicker, and not just because of the animation quality. They're just better put together with a lot more cool moments.

Personally I think it works better as a movie series.

Also helps that the movies didn't have to worry about manga related issues like the tv series did.

Kalyx triaD 12-08-2014 04:39 PM

Yeah the movies was a sub-reality in a way. Only used the show/manga for timeline backdrops (okay this is when Gohan's a teen, here's where Vegeta joined the core group, this is after Trunks came, etc).

Fignuts 12-08-2014 09:31 PM

And let's face it. Not a lot of depth in DBZ. You need depth in a long running series, but not in a 90 minute action story.

KIRA 12-08-2014 09:55 PM

Other than DBZ I am dying for Attack on Titan season 2 and looking forward to the live action movie

Fignuts 12-27-2014 04:29 PM

Well, I fucking caved.

Was planning on only watching the anime for Attack on Titan, as it's fucking gorgeous, and I wanted to wait to find out what happens next through that medium.

BUT, the news that season 2 won't air til 2016 completely crumpled my resolve, and I went ahead and read the manga up to the current chapter.

McLegend 12-27-2014 10:28 PM

Quote:

I watched this, and really enjoyed it. One of of the first times I have watched an anime and instantly thought that it could work as an half hour live action sitcom or live action 1 hour show. I can't recommend it enough.

Also I got back into to Rurouni Kenshin for some reason, and I really want to see the revenge (jinchu) arc animated. That shit in the OVA doesn't work for me. Also Hajime Saito maybe my favorite character in anything ever. They should actually should have used him in the 3rd season of the anime.

Fignuts 12-27-2014 11:06 PM

I just watched the first 8 episodes of Higurashi: When They Cry.

Been a loooooong time since I've been that fucking creeped out by anything.

Kalyx triaD 03-11-2015 10:57 PM

Finally binging on Death Note.

Really like Death Note.

This is crack for whoever's into investigations. A lot of stuff I studied represented in there.

Fignuts 03-11-2015 11:51 PM

Good show. Ending drops the ball a bit, but I still enjoyed the experience very much.

Tom Guycott 03-12-2015 12:05 AM

Quote:

On this recommendation, I finally got around to this about a month ago. Then promptly watched the fuck out of it. I need more anime like this in my life.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 4553913)
Apparently Freiza has a new transformation.

Either way, nobody watches DBZ for logical plotlines.

Which is why Abridged is so damned funny!

Shadow 03-12-2015 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD (Post 4597698)
Finally binging on Death Note.

Really like Death Note.

This is crack for whoever's into investigations. A lot of stuff I studied represented in there.

AND WITH MY ONE HAND...I'LL EAT ANOTHER CHIP!

AND WITH MY OTHER HAND, I'LL SOLVE AN EQUATION!

KIRA 03-12-2015 03:10 PM

Death Note Pffft never heard of it!

Kalyx triaD 03-13-2015 12:29 PM

Yeah that chip line was deliciously over the top. Aside from that the show's fairly mellow, kinda like Witch Hunter Robin. Very dialogue heavy.

KIRA 03-13-2015 04:03 PM

"Matsuda you idiot"

Kalyx triaD 03-22-2015 12:09 AM

Not anime per se but I suggest you watch RWBY. Can't believe I waited this long to check out Monty Oum's defining work.

ClockShot 03-22-2015 05:16 PM

Attack on Titan live action teaser trailer. Enjoy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JsY3_LbOPMw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Raven Reaper 03-27-2015 06:26 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PN_CP4SuoTU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How about some Star Wars/Gundam/macross style anime? This is already better than the shitty ass CGI Clone Wars and Rebels.

Kalyx triaD 03-27-2015 01:46 PM

I like Clone Wars and Rebels... :(

Kalyx triaD 04-17-2015 06:17 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/njH4Y1UBucw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tom Guycott 06-28-2015 03:41 PM

Just finished Black Bullet. Not bad overall, though at times I wasn't sure if they were playing up the underage thing up for laughs or playing it straight... being dubiously or ambiguous about it is one thing, but they spelled out in the very first episode that the girls are no older than 10, and still added harem comedy and sime fan service elements...? That was a bit creepy.

Also, Kisara Tendo. She is what would happen if Inigo Montoya became Fist Of The North Star. And changed genders.

Kalyx triaD 06-28-2015 04:34 PM

Different culture. They play loose with girl's ages and how they're physically depicted but they don't have half the number of pedos and rapists per capita we do.

Tom Guycott 06-28-2015 05:39 PM

I get that. But it's usually a lot more tounge-in-cheek. Or the girl will be about 18, and just developed like she's 10. This, again, had more upskirt, costumes, shower scenes, etc., for girls that were explicitly determined by the plot of the story to be no more than ten years of age. It was funny for the running gag on Rentaro, but there was stuff where it wasn't influenced by that joke at all.

Kalyx triaD 06-28-2015 07:43 PM

Guess they're a tad more liberal than other anime. Not seeing stateside, I guess.

Fignuts 06-28-2015 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Guycott (Post 4597709)
On this recommendation, I finally got around to this about a month ago. Then promptly watched the fuck out of it. I need more anime like this in my life.

Which is why Abridged is so damned funny!

Abridged is better than dbz

Tom Guycott 06-29-2015 02:00 AM

Agreed, but it's only truly funny if you're familiar with the source. Filler and all.

I also like how they are doing the "Kai Abridged" after every season. Making an abridged version of the abridged version of the show they're already abridging to make fun of the abridged version of the show the studio sanctioned.

I seriously hope everyone involved stays away from the "cease and desist" button as they see this is a love letter, unlike those humorless cunts taking their sweet ass time with a new season of Attack on Titan.

McLegend 09-13-2015 03:08 PM

I just discovered DBZ Abridged, and I think it's one of greatest things I've ever seen.

It started out well with the Saiyan Saga, but's gotten so much better over time. Every episode in the Android Saga is better then the previous episode. DBZA Vegeta is a god damn quote machine, and I love it.

Also Dr. Gero is the most underrated character in that series... Seriously WTF is Namek!?!?!?

Shadow 09-13-2015 05:46 PM

So what rock have you been living under?

McLegend 09-13-2015 06:06 PM

I guess I did. I just never paid attention to it.

Kind of wish I discovered it 4 years in the future though so I wouldn't have to painstakingly wait for every episode now.

Ermaximus 09-13-2015 06:27 PM

Come on lil green!

My name is Dende...

McLegend 09-13-2015 10:59 PM

Turning triangles into fuckin squares

Tom Guycott 09-14-2015 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLegend (Post 4702725)
I just discovered DBZ Abridged, and I think it's one of greatest things I've ever seen.

It started out well with the Saiyan Saga, but's gotten so much better over time. Every episode in the Android Saga is better then the previous episode. DBZA Vegeta is a god damn quote machine, and I love it.

Also Dr. Gero is the most underrated character in that series... Seriously WTF is Namek!?!?!?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 4702761)
So what rock have you been living under?

:takahata101 in Nappa voice: "You're only 4 years late for *that* party!"

parkmania 09-14-2015 01:53 PM

There's also a YuGiOh Abridged, that I find equally as funny.

McLegend 09-14-2015 06:22 PM

Yeah but I never watched Yugioh, and it would all be lost on me.

Tom Guycott 09-14-2015 09:01 PM

I wasn't super familiar with it either, but knew enough about the anime where all the in-jokes weren't lost on me (like the stuff about all the 4kids shots, where they edited out guns and some violence... "it is heavily implied that I am punching you!"). Can't say the same for Hellsing. But YuGiOh and Naruto Abridged were done well before DBZ... before Team Four Star were really a thing, and a lot of the edits and voicework, and even some of the comedy was rougher than people who abridge stuff now. The "top of the heap" kinda all gelled together.

That FFVII project looks promising so far as well.

JT 09-14-2015 11:09 PM

Anyone been watching Overlord? Friends just got me into the show over the weekend. Really like it so far.

JT 09-14-2015 11:13 PM

Man, this thread makes me wish I knew where there was still a copy of the TPWW Anime Lover's Club banner from 2004.

Tom Guycott 09-15-2015 02:17 AM

Ask Triple A. Maybe he has that stuck somewhere. Not likely, but prob'ly worth an ask just in case.

Also, will likely try to see tomorrow if Overlord is anything that holds my interest.

Fignuts 10-22-2015 09:38 PM

Just watched the DBZ Freiza movie. It was pretty good. Even better than battle of the gods.

New voice actor for freiza threw me off at first, but after 10 minutes, I already loved him. Dude really "gets" the character.

Some great fight sequences with some relay slick animation sequences during the Goku vs Freiza battle. Also, the dialogue is great in this movie. Lots of hilarious character interactions.

Only a couple complaints really. One, the new form that we've seen Goku in, in previews was achieved offscreen before the movie starts. Lame. Also, Vegeta Barely fights Freiza at all. He's by no means in his usual position of the villains bitch before the goku fight. If anything, he's as equal as he's ever been with Goku. And that's why it's so disappointing he gets so little time to shine.

But otherwise, this is fun and you should get it if you're a fan. Even if, like me, watching the original series bores you at this point.

Fignuts 10-22-2015 09:42 PM

Also, I have always watched the original series with subs, because I always hated the dub, but like the last movie, I watched this in English and it's a great dub. Everyone is on point here.

KIRA 10-22-2015 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts HD Edition (Post 4719547)
Also, I have always watched the original series with subs, because I always hated the dub, but like the last movie, I watched this in English and it's a great dub. Everyone is on point here.

I loved that they gave the other DBZ fighters(even Roshi) a chance to shine. Overall fun movie my one point of anger is that they took away what should've been Vegeta's time to shine he has the most history and the biggest bone to pick with Frieza but they give it to their golden boy again.

Fignuts 10-22-2015 10:28 PM

I was legit shocked that Roshi was not useless. To a lesser extent Tien as well.

lol at Yamcha being considered as weak as Chaoutzu at this point tho.

KIRA 10-22-2015 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts HD Edition (Post 4719578)
I was legit shocked that Roshi was not useless. To a lesser extent Tien as well.

lol at Yamcha being considered as weak as Chaoutzu at this point tho.

I can't recall if it was the last movie or not but at some point it was explained that Gohan is nowhere near as strong as he could or should be.

Fignuts 10-23-2015 12:05 AM

Yeah, he sucks now.

KIRA 10-23-2015 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Guycott (Post 4657975)
Agreed, but it's only truly funny if you're familiar with the source. Filler and all.

I also like how they are doing the "Kai Abridged" after every season. Making an abridged version of the abridged version of the show they're already abridging to make fun of the abridged version of the show the studio sanctioned.

I seriously hope everyone involved stays away from the "cease and desist" button as they see this is a love letter, unlike those humorless cunts taking their sweet ass time with a new season of Attack on Titan.

They've recently screened a clip of season 2 of AoT.

McLegend 10-24-2015 06:39 PM

Vegeta had a good moment before he got screwed though.

Wishbone 10-24-2015 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts HD Edition (Post 4719542)
Just watched the DBZ Freiza movie. It was pretty good. Even better than battle of the gods.

New voice actor for freiza threw me off at first, but after 10 minutes, I already loved him. Dude really "gets" the character.

Some great fight sequences with some relay slick animation sequences during the Goku vs Freiza battle. Also, the dialogue is great in this movie. Lots of hilarious character interactions.

Only a couple complaints really. One, the new form that we've seen Goku in, in previews was achieved offscreen before the movie starts. Lame. Also, Vegeta Barely fights Freiza at all. He's by no means in his usual position of the villains bitch before the goku fight. If anything, he's as equal as he's ever been with Goku. And that's why it's so disappointing he gets so little time to shine.

But otherwise, this is fun and you should get it if you're a fan. Even if, like me, watching the original series bores you at this point.

Got to see it in theaters here on my birthday. Was fucking epic getting to see Dragon Ball Z on the big screen. Also gotta agree with you on pretty much every point. The movie was amazing, but there were some weird little quirks that they should have hammered out. Hopefully the fix it when they retell the story in Dragon Ball Super.

Fignuts 03-20-2016 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts HD Edition (Post 4561458)
I just watched the first 8 episodes of Higurashi: When They Cry.

Been a loooooong time since I've been that fucking creeped out by anything.

This is now on hulu. I suggest you all watch it.

Do not be fooled by the cutsie moe art style. It is a twisted mindfuck, and you will be thinking about each story arc for days afterwards. It is one of the best anime shows to come out in the last few years, imo.

Subs only (sorry kalyx) but that's how I prefer it.

road doggy dogg 03-20-2016 02:09 AM

Keep hearing how One-Punch Man is ALL THE RAGE right now, may have to czeck 'er out

ClockShot 03-20-2016 07:21 AM

That and Blood Blockade Battlefront I hear is the goods as well.

Kalyx triaD 03-20-2016 11:58 AM

I can do subs if I absolutely need to and studios drag their feet on dubbing duties.

road doggy dogg 03-20-2016 12:27 PM

I generally prefer subs to dubs myself, it's rare the English voice actors are any good :(

The Rogerer 03-20-2016 03:05 PM

Stand Alone Complex 1st Gig was entertaining as a show, but very unsatisfying as GitS. Nowhere near enough angst.

Kalyx triaD 03-21-2016 01:43 PM

I like Gits but the stronger arc of SAC was better. It's similar to the difference between Batman Beyond S1 and the two seasons after.

Fignuts 03-22-2016 01:01 AM

Obviously visuals aren't everything, but my god is the original movie fucking gorgeous. I absolutely HATED when they rereleased it and replaced a few scenes with shit CG, considering that it was the only version I could find at the time.

Fignuts 03-22-2016 01:47 AM

The fuck

Hulu just deciding to remove all the dubbed episodes of cowboy bebop, outside of the first few episodes. Thats one ofthe few anime where I prefer the dub.

The Rogerer 03-22-2016 12:12 PM

The original UK GitS DVD has audio sync issues, so I ordered that 2.0 version. I watched the intro with the CGI and it was absolutely dreadful. It comes with a 2nd disc with the original on it, but it looks like it's been ripped from a VHS. Which is probably the best way to watch it.

Fignuts 03-22-2016 12:24 PM

I'm pretty sure at this point they've released the original cut on blu ray.

The Rogerer 03-22-2016 12:29 PM

Yeah, it was £3 vs £25 though.

Fignuts 03-22-2016 02:18 PM

Watched FLCL again. Probably my favorite anime ever. Seen it like 5 or 6 times now and yet each time it feels different and new. So good.

Tom Guycott 03-22-2016 04:13 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to say *my* favorite ever, but I see no fault in your argument.

Fignuts 03-22-2016 06:10 PM

How many times have you watched it? It is the very definition of "needs multiple viewings".

I've met people who didn't like it outright, but after giving it a second go, fell in love with it.

All that said, even on multiple viewings, I get that it"s not for everyone.

Fignuts 03-22-2016 06:11 PM

Also kind of biased, as I had a similar coming of age situation in my own life when I was younger.

Minus the killer robots coming out of people's heads.

OR MAYBE NOT WHO KNOWS

The Rogerer 03-22-2016 06:35 PM

I've never even heard of it, and I was paying a lot of attention to anime around that time.