TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   entertainment forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Anime Thread (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=80720)

ClockShot 06-09-2023 03:55 PM

Got back into Demon Slayer since Netflix seems to be on the ball and adding the new episodes. Finished the Mugen Train arc and getting ready to start the Entertainment District.

Fignuts 06-09-2023 04:21 PM

Entertainment District arc is incredible. So far the current season is good, but hasn't quite reached those heights yet, outside of one particularly spectacular moment.

Lock Jaw 06-17-2023 06:35 PM

<iframe width="750" height="422" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lNMSqxQtO0w" title="ONE PIECE | Official Teaser Trailer | Netflix" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This seems like a good idea

Destor 06-17-2023 07:06 PM

How to adapt a bad anime badly: a 90 minute documentary

ClockShot 06-17-2023 07:55 PM

Oh man. You'd think Netflix would learn from Cowboy Bebop.

Fignuts 06-17-2023 08:57 PM

Adapting any anime that has a distinct art style is a fail by default. You lose so much of its identity right out of the gate.

Also, jesus wept, that looks horrible.

Just leave anime alone.

Emperor Smeat 06-17-2023 10:51 PM

Wonder how much stuff they are going to cram into the first season considering the manga alone has been going on since 1997 and Netflix's habit of murdering series the moment they don't hit arbitrary numbers or cost too much to continue.

Sepholio 07-08-2023 10:16 PM

Bleach is back my brothers.

Sepholio 08-05-2023 11:41 PM

lmao so Luffy has gear 5 in the anime now and they went full looney tunes. Ridiculous animations and sound effects ripped straight out of a road runner bit. One of the dumbest things I've ever seen lol.

Fignuts 08-06-2023 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sepholio (Post 5622187)
Bleach is back my brothers.

Patiently waiting for what is sure to be the highlight of part 2:

SPOILER: show
Rukia's bankai

Sepholio 08-13-2023 03:39 PM

It happened and did not disappoint.

Fignuts 08-14-2023 01:50 PM

Exceeded all expectations. Episode went HARD.

Sepholio 08-22-2023 10:11 PM

I decided to watch the Trigun reboot even though the animation in the previews looked weird and terrible and there were clear changes made and...well.

I think I might like this version better tbh. The story feels much more cohesive this time and flows way better imo. Pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Fignuts 08-23-2023 12:05 AM

I rewatched the Kenpachi fight from part 1 again. Might actually top demon slayer for most gorgeously animated fight in recent years.

Sepholio 08-23-2023 04:20 AM

Re: Trigun

As best I can tell, Trigun: Stampede is a reimagining and seems to be in prequel territory at this point, but with elements of the original included in this earlier time frame.

You can tell that in the context of the original series, this definitely takes place before. In fact it basically leads up to the precursor event that is constantly referenced in the beginning of the original (The July Incident) as to why Vash has that insane bounty on his head. However, there are multiple events from the original that are retold here as if they are in the present; there are tons of characters that Vash supposedly meets for the first time in the original that he mixes it up with in Stampede, so he should have clearly known these people in the original if it was a true prequel.

That said, while I absolutely love the original, this easily feels like the superior version thus far. Everything flows better and because of the "prequel" ground they tread, you end up with a much better understanding of what is actually going on with the overall story. Vash/Knives are much better explained, as are the "Plants" and where they come from and what they actually are. The actual origins of the humans on the planet and project SEEDS are fleshed out. And there are other factions (2 more besides humans and Knives/the Plants), for lack of a better term, that are revealed and seem to have a major role to play in the future. The final scene and post credit reveal set up the 4th side in the story as being a major factor in the next season. The ending also sets up the reveal in season 2 of that character everyone noticed was conspicuously absent from this version for no apparent reason.

All in all, I absolutely love this show. Can not wait for season 2 to see where they take it next. Will it follow more of the events of the original now that the timelines are in the same place? How will that mix with other sides at play now, especially the one from the post credit scene? Will they tread completely new ground that makes the next season seem more like a sequel to the original instead? I've no idea, but I'm hyped.

tl;dr They Final Fantasy 7 Remaked Trigun and they did a really good job.

Tom Guycott 08-27-2023 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sepholio (Post 5626230)
Re: Trigun

As best I can tell, Trigun: Stampede is a reimagining and seems to be in prequel territory at this point, but with elements of the original included in this earlier time frame.

You can tell that in the context of the original series, this definitely takes place before. In fact it basically leads up to the precursor event that is constantly referenced in the beginning of the original (The July Incident) as to why Vash has that insane bounty on his head. However, there are multiple events from the original that are retold here as if they are in the present; there are tons of characters that Vash supposedly meets for the first time in the original that he mixes it up with in Stampede, so he should have clearly known these people in the original if it was a true prequel.

That said, while I absolutely love the original, this easily feels like the superior version thus far. Everything flows better and because of the "prequel" ground they tread, you end up with a much better understanding of what is actually going on with the overall story. Vash/Knives are much better explained, as are the "Plants" and where they come from and what they actually are. The actual origins of the humans on the planet and project SEEDS are fleshed out. And there are other factions (2 more besides humans and Knives/the Plants), for lack of a better term, that are revealed and seem to have a major role to play in the future. The final scene and post credit reveal set up the 4th side in the story as being a major factor in the next season. The ending also sets up the reveal in season 2 of that character everyone noticed was conspicuously absent from this version for no apparent reason.

All in all, I absolutely love this show. Can not wait for season 2 to see where they take it next. Will it follow more of the events of the original now that the timelines are in the same place? How will that mix with other sides at play now, especially the one from the post credit scene? Will they tread completely new ground that makes the next season seem more like a sequel to the original instead? I've no idea, but I'm hyped.

tl;dr They Final Fantasy 7 Remaked Trigun and they did a really good job.

While not actually "spoiling" anything about Trigun, I'm putting this here more for a formality.

Which is why I take it more as something akin to every version of Tenchi Muyo, Ducktales (2017) or arguably either of the follow-ups to Masters of the Universe (1983)* : not so much a sequel or a prequel but it's its own telling of the story... it's good for some "oh!" moments if you're familiar with the earlier work, but each instance stands on its own without needing prior source material for any sort of anchor.

*I say arguably, because even though Revelations is it's own series, it is a sort-of sequel to both the '83 AND the '02 versions of the series timewise while simultaneously retconning things from both of those versions that adds to, incorporates, and contradicts the previously established cartoon lore from one or both sets all at the same time. But that's another discussion to be had elsewhere if at all.

Sepholio 08-28-2023 07:29 AM

Another excellent episode of Bleach.

Destor 08-28-2023 01:25 PM

New Trigun is ass but m heavily bias. The 1st run is my alltime fav series. Manga is getting a reprint late this year in a compendium with the 2nd half coming in the spring. Got em preordered.

Sepholio 08-28-2023 03:23 PM

Yeah I figured you probably wouldn't like it given your attachment to the original.

Sepholio 08-28-2023 03:24 PM

Watching Baki Hanma on Netflix rn. Pretty funny show. Not the best thing I've ever seen but it's a decent enough time and some of the characters make me chuckle constantly.

Helmsphere 08-29-2023 02:19 AM

One of these days I'll actually start Demon Slayer and maybe even finish off Overload.

Also the day I've dreaded is coming soon as I will have to watch Dragon Ball GT with my girlfriend here soon.

Fignuts 08-31-2023 12:32 AM

Watching Higurashi. The 2020 version. Think I might like this one better. It's not as in your face with the psychological mind fucks and brutality. It still has all that, but it subtley builds to those moments a lot more efficiently.

Emperor Smeat 08-31-2023 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helmsphere (Post 5627125)
One of these days I'll actually start Demon Slayer and maybe even finish off Overload.

Also the day I've dreaded is coming soon as I will have to watch Dragon Ball GT with my girlfriend here soon.

Besides the option of just not existing, GT probably would have been better off as just being a one saga epilogue type special to DBZ instead of its own separate big series with multiple sagas.

Only things about GT I remember is Goku's feud with the evil Dragons, Goku's then ultimate Super Saiyan form that was a lot more heelish compared to his prior forms, and little Goku.

Fun fact is I actually watched that series almost in full twice. The first time in Japanese because a digital cable channel that I forgot its name used to air anime shows in Japanese and then later in English on Toonami.

Destor 08-31-2023 07:53 PM

Hot take: OG DB is the peak of the franchise and DBGT is more like OGDB so its better than DBZ by the transitive property

Emperor Smeat 08-31-2023 08:15 PM

Well they both do have a little Goku as the star of the show so that does makes sense.

Destor 08-31-2023 09:23 PM

To my taste its the general writing structure. DB and DBGT are about the characters. DBZ is about powers. Most of DBZs run time is about getting powerful enough to vanquish a foe. That doesnt resonate with me very strongly.
DB and DBGT are about characters going on adventures. Goku might discover powerful treasures but the focus is on the adventure. DBGT has some power level stuff but its a secondary focus.

Im not shitting on DBZ though. Its fine. But i dont like it half as much and OG.

Super is similar to GT where it has aspects of both but its like....75% Zs methodology and 25% OG.

Destor 08-31-2023 09:25 PM

OGs structure is so good though. Go on an adventure. After adventure theres the annual tourny. Repeat. And the progression comes from seeing how far he's come organically year over year. Really satisfying structure

Emperor Smeat 08-31-2023 09:52 PM

Plus Goku learning a very valuable life lesson that women do not have balls.

Destor 08-31-2023 10:19 PM

There is something great about young gokus complete ignorance to how humans work

Lock Jaw 08-31-2023 11:49 PM

I too always like the OG Dragonball over DBZ somewhere at my parent's house still have all the Dragonball manga volumes. I remember liking GT trying to get back to that a little bit with having adventures and comedy. I didn't dislike DBZ but wish it would have "fully committed" to switching to Gohan as the main protagonist.

I need to read more Dragonball Super, I hear there are some bits where they actually put some shine on Master Roshi and Tienshinhan after so long....

Destor 09-01-2023 09:42 AM

Db, with its smaller cast, was really able to shine everyone up. By the time you get to super you have some major cast bloat leaving a ton of loved character behind. (through no ones fault mind you, its inevitable in a run that doesnt kill characters off.)

Shadow 09-02-2023 04:34 PM

The hell you talking about? Dragonball isn't afraid to kill characters. Keeping them dead though....

Emperor Smeat 09-02-2023 11:34 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I started watching this show on Netflix called one piece. <br><br>I’d never heard of it before. <br><br>It’s incredible. <br><br>This is real TV, not like that anime bull crap everyone keeps trying to get me to watch. <br><br>I hate anime. <br><br>This however is an American original genuine piece of Cinema.</p>&mdash; Maxwell Jacob Friedman™️ (@The_MJF) <a href="https://twitter.com/The_MJF/status/1698021290160840843?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 2, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Destor 09-02-2023 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 5627855)
The hell you talking about? Dragonball isn't afraid to kill characters. Keeping them dead though....

Lol yeah. No one dies to the point death has no stakes.

Fignuts 09-03-2023 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destor (Post 5627728)
Db, with its smaller cast, was really able to shine everyone up. By the time you get to super you have some major cast bloat leaving a ton of loved character behind. (through no ones fault mind you, its inevitable in a run that doesnt kill characters off.)

I actually think super has done a better job of keeping other supporting characters relevant. They still fall far behind goku and vegeta of course, but you get to see characters like roshi, krillin, and android 18 have cool moments again.

Yamcha still sucks though.

Destor 09-03-2023 01:16 AM

They tried to build a few peoole up. Dunno how well it worked with the fandom, im not that plugged in. I was specifically referring to some characters they dont even really appear anymore. Which is reasonable obviously.

Destor 09-03-2023 01:17 AM

And DB isnt even the worst offender of that. Fairy Tale, which i love, is awful about death being meaningless and massive character bloat

Tom Guycott 09-05-2023 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destor (Post 5627684)
Hot take: OG DB is the peak of the franchise

Right there. Full stop.

Tom Guycott 09-05-2023 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 5628047)
I actually think super has done a better job of keeping other supporting characters relevant. They still fall far behind goku and vegeta of course, but you get to see characters like roshi, krillin, and android 18 have cool moments again.

Yamcha still sucks though.

"Hey, lay off him, guys. Yamcha needs this like he needs a hole in the chest."

Helmsphere 09-05-2023 03:18 AM

You need to show some respect to one of the three strongest earthlings on planet earth.

That is if you exclude anyone born on the planet that doesn't share Alien Blood, humans converted into cyborgs or a kid that happened to be reincarnated from a mystical being.

Sepholio 10-12-2023 02:08 PM

WOOO DRAGON BALL IS BACK BITCHES~~~

Dragon Ball: Daima premieres next year.

Sepholio 10-12-2023 02:11 PM

Seems weird. Not a continuation of Super. Almost like they are retconning Super in a way. Or maybe it's between Z and Super. I dunno. Everyone gets turned into kids though. Literally everyone.

Sepholio 10-12-2023 02:13 PM

Toriyama at the helm and it's said that he is more involved with this project than he usually is with the others.

Sepholio 10-12-2023 02:14 PM

Deffo seems to be set between Z and Super.

Really wish they'd continue Super though -_-

Sepholio 10-12-2023 02:16 PM

Animation looks really good. Seems like they are going with the more detailed style from the recent movies.

Sepholio 10-12-2023 02:18 PM

Ok so best I can tell: Everyone gets de-aged and they set off on a galaxy trotting adventure with kid Kaioshin leading the party.

Fignuts 10-12-2023 04:39 PM

Looks like it will be worth watching for the animation alone. Hope Super looks this good when they pick it up again.

ClockShot 10-17-2023 07:07 PM

English voice cast for Hayao Miyazaki's The Boy and the Heron has been revealed.

Quite the crew.

Christian Bale - Shoichi Maki
Dave Bautista - The Parakeet King
Gemma Chan - Natsuko
Willem Dafoe - Noble Pelican
Karen Fukuhara - Lady Himi
Mark Hamill - Granduncle
Robert Pattinson - The Gray Heron
Florence Pugh - Kiriko

https://assets-prd.ignimgs.com/2023/...7573443477.jpg

Sepholio 10-17-2023 07:14 PM

Good Night World was really good. Gonna watch it again already.

Shadow 10-18-2023 04:32 PM

Batista's getting into Voice Acting?

Tom Guycott 10-31-2023 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 5634511)
Batista's getting into Voice Acting?

Why not? He isn't bad with delivery, and he has a distinctive enough voice to be recognized.

Sepholio 11-04-2023 04:22 AM

It's weird how Netflix has had such a good run of anime the last few years, but they've done it again as far as I'm concerned. Pluto is fucking excellent. It reminds me of Big O in its tone in a way. Episodes are also an hour long, which is weird for an anime but works so well for this show. Half way through the first season now and loving it. If it keeps up the quality shown thus far then it will probably end up ranking very highly in my list of favorite anime.

Sepholio 11-05-2023 06:39 PM

Pluto was great the whole way through. Top 10 for me for sure. From what I heard, it's a loose telling of one of the arcs of Astro Boy but told from a different characters perspective. I dunno about all that, but the Big O vibes hold on throughout and I won't complain about that since I'll never get a season 3 of Big O to fill the void.

And continuing the trend of Netflix dropping banger after banger, I've started Blue Eye Samurai and this one seems to be legit af as well. Too early for a fair assessment yet though.

Sepholio 11-05-2023 06:55 PM

yeah dont let the kids watch this one for sure. Full nudity involved.

Sepholio 11-06-2023 02:38 PM

Lots of nudity. Great show though. I'll be on the lookout for future seasons of Blue Eye Samurai.

Moved on to the next Netflix offering. Onimusha. Based on the old capcom games. And guess what? Damned if ain't another fucking banger, especially for a video game adaptation. They been doing a few of those justice lately.

Emperor Smeat 11-10-2023 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sepholio (Post 5636375)
yeah dont let the kids watch this one for sure. Full nudity involved.

:lol: I decided to read IMDB's parents guide section for the series and it even says that in it.

Quote:

Sex & Nudity

Severe 35 of 52 found this severe

Nudity in nearly every episode.

Nope, not for children. Not even for teenagers.

Fignuts 11-10-2023 08:52 PM

Watched the first episode. Really good. Animation of the fight scenes is incredible.

Destor 11-11-2023 10:46 AM

Halfway into Pluto. Seems bizarre to rework astroboy into a detective show. Its def more Big O than anything. Would be lying if i didnt say i really am ready for this to pop off with some Kaiju nonsense but the writting is extremely good so its not like im hating it.

ClockShot 11-29-2023 07:18 AM

Onimusha on Netflix was getting good. Then it just........ended.

I hope there's a second season.

Sepholio 11-29-2023 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClockShot (Post 5638433)
Onimusha on Netflix was getting good. Then it just........ended.

I hope there's a second season.

Same. It's not like they don't have several more games worth of story to work with.

Sepholio 11-29-2023 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destor (Post 5637009)
Halfway into Pluto. Seems bizarre to rework astroboy into a detective show. Its def more Big O than anything. Would be lying if i didnt say i really am ready for this to pop off with some Kaiju nonsense but the writting is extremely good so its not like im hating it.

I honestly didn't even realize I was watching Astroboy related content until I read it somewhere.

ClockShot 12-12-2023 12:11 PM

Finally got around to getting a Crunchyroll subscription.

Shield Hero season 3 is up and running. Also liking Berserk of Gluttony.

Shadow 12-12-2023 05:13 PM

Berserk of Gluttony is pretty good. A refreshing change from the usual overpowered protagonists in some animes.