TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   entertainment forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Rate the last movie that you saw for the first time. (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=58112)

mitch_h 11-12-2010 06:01 PM

Dear Zachary destroyed me, Bigger Stronger Faster is great as well :y:.

Razzamajazz 11-12-2010 06:28 PM

considering watching dear zachary on netflix tonight, but i don't want to be all depressed when i go to bed.

Kalyx triaD 11-14-2010 12:45 AM

DVDs yay!

Expendables - 5/5

As fucking as this is, a sequel where "Mr. Church" is the villain, and Van Damme finally joins, and they're trying to get Ray Park, Mr T, Hulk Hogan, Dwayne Johnson, and Vin Diesel involved sounds too good to be real. And if I can read Stallone's mind well enough; if this movie was a Justice League of action heroes, Expendables 2 will be JLA vs Avengers. A fuckin battle royal of action guys. I can't wait.

The Last Air Bender - 3/5

I can't detail what I dislike about the movie without sounding like a geeky child-boy again so on a positive note: the movie improves in the second half, the effects are stunning, and I like the cast for the most part. Rather not get into what I find to be negatives now. As expected, this movie isn't nearly the train wreck people made it out to be.

Splice - 5/5

Pretty insane mind-fuck of a movie.

Predators - 4/5

This one also makes me more excited for a future sequel. It certainly feels like Predator, but like Superman Returns it's a bit heavy on the original movie worship. Given the budget, this really should/could have been the second Predator movie. Now that it's honored with a proper sequel, I wonder where they can take this.

RoXer 11-14-2010 01:49 PM

Star Trek: Insurrection - 67
Star Trek: Nemesis - 70

Not a memorable story in Insurrection. Plus some lame effects also. And camerawork. There was one scene where to get the effect to look like the ship was flipping around, they just rotated the camera over and over. Pretty "amerature" stuff. Nemesis was a big "meh". Kinda a bummer when blank dies but he blanked his blanks to blank so that he may live on.

Might rewatch the J.J. Abrams version now.

RoXer 11-14-2010 01:53 PM

In Order:

Star Trek: First Contact - 80
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock - 78
Star Trek Generations - 77
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - 77
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - 75
Star Trek: Nemesis - 70
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - 70
Star Trek: The Motion Picture - 68
Star Trek: Insurrection - 67
Star Trek Travels Back in Time to Save Whales - 17

mitch_h 11-14-2010 06:40 PM

Winter's Bone - About a 17 year old girl who searches for her meth-dealing father in the Ozark mountains. This was great and for some reason I love movies set in desolate parts of America full of disgusting hicks. The main girl was really good too, I think she's playing Mystique in the X-Men prequel. 8/10

Revanche - Not following the rules of the thread title because this is a rewatch but this movie is incredible. A neo-noir about a guy who tries to rob a bank with his prostitute girlfriend, a cop kills her while they escape - he retreats to his grandfather's country house, that just so happens to be in the same village as the cop that killed his girlfriend. This is a one of a kind "revenge" flick, where aside from some hate fucking nothing really happens, but it still manages to be heavy on tension.

VSG 11-14-2010 10:55 PM

Cloverfield - 4/5

I went the whole way here, browsing through those marketing websites. Loved the whole experience and then saw the "secrets" on youtube. Awesome stuff.

Sixx 11-15-2010 07:54 AM

The Other Guys - 8/10.

Really enjoyed it.

SPOILER: show
The scene where The Rock and Samuel L. Jackson die was great. And Wahlberg's ballet.

PorkSoda 11-15-2010 02:40 PM

Unstoppable - 7/10.

Great cast although I thought the man vs. train plot kinda sucked in a way.

RoXer 11-15-2010 03:03 PM

In what way?

Kalyx triaD 11-15-2010 08:05 PM

A-Team - 5/5

Solid action movie.

Kalyx triaD 11-15-2010 08:24 PM

Kick-Ass - 5/5

A touch too long, and it's a Hit-Girl movie in the last act.

XL 11-17-2010 05:32 PM

Clash of the Titans - 8/10

Visually stunning, enjoyable enough story.

CSL 11-17-2010 05:58 PM

Frost/Nixon - 9/10

Great film. I've still not seen Milk but Sean Penn had better be pretty special in it to have gotten the Oscar over Frank Langella in this. 'Beautifully shot' also.

Jeritron 11-17-2010 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSL (Post 3323629)
Frost/Nixon - 9/10

Great film. I've still not seen Milk but Sean Penn had better be pretty special in it to have gotten the Oscar over Frank Langella in this. 'Beautifully shot' also.

They're both great, but neither of them should have beaten Mickey Rourke that year.

CSL 11-17-2010 06:45 PM

I never feel like I've been able to look at Mickey Rourke 'objectively' in The Wrestler just because I was pulling for him to win so hard strictly because he'd been in a film about a wrestler. I guess in my eyes nothing could top his performance but at the same time I never thought he'd win because it'd be 'too good to be true' or something.

Jeritron 11-17-2010 06:47 PM

I'm pretty sure he put in the best performance that year though. In my opinion. I do have my built in interest in wrestling, but I viewed it pretty objectively.
I'm more of a movie fan than a wrestling fan anyways. I was excited about The Wrestler as a film more than anything. I don't think I was even on a wrestling kick at that time.

Skippord 11-17-2010 09:01 PM

I maintain that Necro Butcher should have gotten a Best Supporting Actor nomination

Schlomey 11-19-2010 04:00 PM

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows part 1

I have not read any of the books but I totally enjoyed EVERY one of the Potter movies. I understood going in that this movie was part 1 of a 2 part finale to the series so I didn't expect the exact same magic as we are used to. I also knew going in that the writer/director didn't want to piss off a bunch of fanboys by leaving out tons of details from this huge installment. Still...I didn't like the movie at all really. Tons of hiding. Tons of talking. The few action sequences were very well done but they were so few and far between and not a lot really happened in part 1. Easily the weakest in the series.

5/10

thedamndest 11-19-2010 04:39 PM

Fucking knew before opening this thread that Schlomey would be talking about Harry Potter.

Splaya 11-19-2010 05:21 PM

O- 8/10

Featured Julia Stiles Mekhi Phifer and Josh Hartnett. Based on Othello. Really good flick

D Mac 11-20-2010 02:55 AM

Roxer Cocker it was Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home. And it was a good movie. :foc:

Grown Ups: 8/10

Fignuts 11-20-2010 04:34 AM

The Descent: Part 2

5/10

Yeah, nowhere near as good as the first. A little campy at times, plus, you already know about the creatures in this one, so the surprise, and in turn, the pacing is gone.

Seriously, Descent has probably one of the best slow builds of any horror movie I've ever seen. Second one throws it out the window for typical horror cliches. Still kind of a fun watch though.

Kalyx triaD 11-20-2010 04:40 AM

That black chick was kinda cute.

Fignuts 11-20-2010 04:42 AM

Juno was hotter.

Kalyx triaD 11-20-2010 05:17 AM

Was that the crazy bitch?

Anyway I feel Descent 2 kinda 'missed the point'. I'd call it a rushed sequel. Not a rushed production, everything looked okay - but a rushed concept. I'm sure they could have made a better scenario.

Jeritron 11-20-2010 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 3327409)

5/10

Yeah, nowhere near as good as the first. A little campy at times, plus, you already know about the creatures in this one, so the surprise, and in turn, the pacing is gone.

Seriously, Descent has probably one of the best slow builds of any horror movie I've ever seen. Second one throws it out the window for typical horror cliches. Still kind of a fun watch though.

I haven't seen it, but I have to wonder if they should have gone completely different rather than trying to duplicate the first.

Since the first was so much like Alien, maybe they could have just copied the Aliens approach for a sequel.

I loved the first Descent, but I really have had no interest to check this one out. Maybe I will eventually.

mitch_h 11-20-2010 03:55 PM

Predators - It was alright I guess, I didn't expect anything as good as the original just something fun and somewhat competant. Thought the end was pretty much tensionless and predictable though. 6.5/10

Still Walking - Love this director, very much inspired by the films of Yasujiro Ozu. It's about a family getting together to commemorate the death of one of the family members. Really simple but beautiful story dealing with repressed resentments. 9/10

Downunder 11-20-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 3327409)

5/10

I haven't watched it for just that reason

wwe2222 11-22-2010 11:27 AM

Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 1: 7.5/10

I really enjoyed it, except for the setup ending. Looking forward to Part II

Triple Naitch 11-22-2010 11:54 AM

Death at a Funeral (The black version) - 7/10

Not a lot of great lines, mostly physical comedy. Meh.

Kalyx triaD 11-22-2010 06:13 PM

Scott Pilgrim vs The World - 5/5

Not sure what genre this goes under but it was pretty fucking awesome.

PorkSoda 11-23-2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoXer (Post 3320759)
In what way?

How you can't charactically develop a train.

Face/Off - 8/10.
The Chase - 7/10.

I might go see Megamind later :D

Triple A 11-23-2010 10:54 PM

127 Hours - 9/10

Mad good.

Felt very "inspirational."

Pretty much just James Franco trapped by a rock for 95% of the movie, amazing.

VSG 11-23-2010 11:32 PM

Harry Potter 7 (a): 6/10

Better than I expected

Downunder 11-24-2010 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaGeorgio (Post 3316760)
Dear Zachary - GO WATCH THIS NOW.

For a documentary like this, it's hard to truly give it a rating out of 10 in the same vein we all have rated movies in the past. This is an extremely powerful movie about a family whose son is murdered. The son, was a well liked man in his late 20's just beginning his career as a doctor. He comes off as the type of man who everyone loves and considers their best friend. He was murdered by his ex-girlfriend. It comes out that his ex was pregnant. She flees to her hometown in Canada. The parents of the victim move out there to begin the process of getting custody of their grandchild.

The film was made by the victims close friend as a way for Zachary, the child to have a sense of who his father was. He goes around the US interviewing everyone the victim has touched in is life, ending up with the Grandparents in Canada. The film is an emotional rollercoaster. It's almost guaranteed the toughest of toughest guys will cry. I really hope that if you read this, you check out this movie. It's the type of movie that will be on your mind for weeks and in some way impact your life.

Fucking just about destroyed me - my wife left the room, wouldn't watch the last 20 minutes.

AKin3D 11-26-2010 03:54 AM

knucklehead - 2/5

It's something you'd watch in the waiting room. It's got a light small chuckle here and there, but I found myself wondering if anything really funny would happen. Then they kept tossing in all this feel good/love storyline stuff. Next thing I know the movie ended. The best thing I watched was The Big Show showing off his bus in the extras.

Droford 11-27-2010 01:05 AM

Get Him to the Greek - 8/10

Way funnier than I thought it would be.

Droford 11-28-2010 01:26 AM

Repo Men - 7/10

did not like the ending that much though I saw it coming..also thought that it would have been 10x better with Jason Statham in the lead.

wwe2222 11-28-2010 10:18 AM

Morning Glory: 5.5/10 Better than I thought it would be, enjoyable, light hearted movie. I like Harrison Ford and Rachel McAdams so Im not surprised I enjoyed watching it.

Nothing special, but there are alot worse movies out there